Downsizing my tactical carry

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Downsizing my tactical carry

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am damn tired of lugging around a 1911, so I have decided to downsize. I needed a new tactical holster so I whipped one out yesterday from some scrap. Pocket carry or belt carry. No retention strap so it is ready for my fast draw. Baby Browning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Downsizing my tactical carry

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you empty your pocket of other items then you don't need the holster for stuff that small. Pocket pistols, nice that you can just wrap your hands around the piece and fire it right through the material of the pants in an emergency. just be aware you may set yourself on fire doing it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:37 pm If you empty your pocket of other items then you don't need the holster for stuff that small. Pocket pistols, nice that you can just wrap your hands around the piece and fire it right through the material of the pants in an emergency. just be aware you may set yourself on fire doing it.
Speaking of setting your pants on fire. When I was in High School, I worked part time for the State in a big office building. Back then butane lighters were the refillable kind. I would have on a coat with big pockets. I would wait until I encountered one of the old women in the hallway, fluff the pocket open to its full volume and then fill the cavity with butane, keeping my hand on the striker. As we were about to pass, I would touch it off with a satisfying flash and whoosh and go on like nothing had happened. The double takes that I got were priceless. I didn't have any hair on my hand and arm the whole summer. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:37 pm If you empty your pocket of other items then you don't need the holster for stuff that small. Pocket pistols, nice that you can just wrap your hands around the piece and fire it right through the material of the pants in an emergency. just be aware you may set yourself on fire doing it.
The Baby Browning would dang near fit inside a cigarette pack, I need to try it. That would be an interesting way to carry concealed. I am not going to buy a six dollar pack of smokes to try it, but the next time I see an empty box in the trash, I am going to try it. The Marlboro surprise. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Looks good, but the bottom "hook" should stick out further to catch on your pocket when you draw it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Nice. I also like a leather holster for my handgun, I purchase mine from Don Hume Holsters. They're affordable and reliable.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am
Speaking of setting your pants on fire. When I was in High School, I worked part time for the State in a big office building. Back then butane lighters were the refillable kind. I would have on a coat with big pockets. I would wait until I encountered one of the old women in the hallway, fluff the pocket open to its full volume and then fill the cavity with butane, keeping my hand on the striker. As we were about to pass, I would touch it off with a satisfying flash and whoosh and go on like nothing had happened. The double takes that I got were priceless. I didn't have any hair on my hand and arm the whole summer. ;)
All fun and games until the day you forget you have a cherry bomb sitting in the bottom of the pocket :chuckles:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

millman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:04 pm Looks good, but the bottom "hook" should stick out further to catch on your pocket when you draw it.
I made it as a belt holster for quick draw! Marshall Dillon wouldn't stand a chance! Truth of the matter is, I would never depend on a .25 to defend anything. For me, minimum defense is 9MM. The Baby Browning came home with me because it was a Baby Browning and the price was right. It was one of those, "I just want it" purchases with no practical value.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum