Tinkering on mowers & such

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Cliff

Tinkering on mowers & such

Post by Cliff »

So far in the last year I've fixed a Troybilt 8hp tiller, a 42in John Deere riding mower and a 8hp B&S engine. It's on a Wlnco 4000 watt generator. As long as people are too lazy or dumb to use 100% gas I won't run out of stuff to tinker on. I don't make any money on this but it's fun to me. I think I've about $150 in a very good JD mower.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Tinkering on mowers & such

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have never paid for a mower in my life. I always have a supply of " broken" mowers on hand for when I need to build another one. For the last 10 years I have had a 1980's Craftsman II with 42" deck and 18 hp twin cylinder engine. It has always burned a little oil, but that keeps the bugs away. The newer mowers have thin cutting decks that quickly rot, I have another Craftsman LT2000 who's only job is to haul around my log splitter. I got that splitter cheap also, half price at a year old because it didn't run, it was just a plugged fuel filter. Ethanol laced fuel has provided me with lots of good toys, I keep a selection of cheap Chinese carbs on hand to slap on chain saws, riding mowers, snow machines and so on. Outside in my parts heap I have two Craftsman from the early 2000's, a yard machine, and a JD. The JD has a bad carb, and maybe a transmission issue. I was told the auto transmissions had problems, I don't think that one is even ten years old, and it's been here for two of them. I almost forgot, I have another 80's Craftsman 15hp stashed away in case the current one ever blows up, they were good machines, MTD made I think.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I almost forgot the generators, ten at least, probably more, Honda 650, and 3000, Craftsman 4000 ( several) , two Onans not installed in RV's, Big Northern 15,000 with twin cylinder Honda, Couple of Coleman 1800's, and 3500's, Coleman 3800 with Subaru engine, and so on. Yea, thinking on it, probably closer to 20 all told.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The decks go much quicker than the engines. I have a 48" cut 22 HP Husqvarna laid up now with deck issues. I was working on it about six weeks ago and injured my back wrestling that deck and got fed up. I bought the Husqvarna because they had the toughest deck of any of the homeowner riders. It made it three or four years of cutting the rough stuff that I cut. I would order a new deck, but that cost almost as much as a new mower. That Briggs twin V engine is great, but the rest of the thing is cheap. I am thinking about going and getting another one just like it tomorrow, at least I will have a pile of spare parts.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The older machines from before the 90's had thicker, and better quality steel. The one on my Craftsman II is in great shape despite very low maintenance, the one on the LT1000', and 2000 made in the last 15 years or so both lost the decks long ago to rust.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The older machines from before the 90's had thicker, and better quality steel. The one on my Craftsman II is in great shape despite very low maintenance, the one on the LT1000', and 2000 made in the last 15 years or so both lost the decks long ago to rust.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Cliff wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:16 am So far in the last year I've fixed a Troybilt 8hp tiller, a 42in John Deere riding mower and a 8hp B&S engine. It's on a Wlnco 4000 watt generator. As long as people are too lazy or dumb to use 100% gas I won't run out of stuff to tinker on. I don't make any money on this but it's fun to me. I think I've about $150 in a very good JD mower.
That's awesome. I preach the gospel of StarTron additive, but most people don't listen. I own a powersports and lawn and garden repair shop. People are fixing a lot more machines now than ever before as replacement prices have skyrocketed. I'm surprised at how many people still won't fix things worth fixing, and most have given them to me in lieu of a 35 buck diagnostic charge. Our shop lunch fund has benefited greatly from that as everyone is looking for good used equipment at half the cost of new.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...