Extended/hi-cap mags

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
blackwolf97

Extended/hi-cap mags

Post by blackwolf97 »

Yeah, I'll be THAT guy. Hi-capacity SKS mags...are they AK mags? Am I looking for SKS mags? I'd like to let this thing let loose at the range a little bit more than the wimpy 10 rounds it came with.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
dou44

Re: Extended/hi-cap mags

Post by dou44 »

they make 20 and 30 round duck bill mags .you just take your old one out and them you can install them. sometime they work and sometimes they do not. you do have to take the triger group out first to get the original one out if i rember right.i tried it for a while but i went back to the original 10 rounder .you can load it fast with the stripper clips. at least this does not modify anything and it is easy to put back original.you would be just as good selling it and putting money with it and buying a ak .you can also still get the vz58 for under $400 and it takes 30 round mags.uses the same round but is not a ak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

The Norinco SKS D and M models use AK mags.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

To me the removal of the military 10 round magazine and replacing it is a modification. Small, but a modification never the less.
The militaries never issued those to the rifle.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Get a chinese 20rd SKS magazine. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Leadslinger45

Post by Leadslinger45 »

You can go with a 20 round "sharkfin." however, this is still considered an aftermarket option, even though they are Chi-com, they never "came" on a carbine.

I say, keep it the 10 rounder, and buy an AK if you want hi-cap mags...
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Amen.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I have the ol sharkfin. It is the only magazine i could find a while back. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

this subject really belongs somewhere else besides this boards I believe all here are purists that collect the SKS as it was issued and are extremely happy to keep them that way.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

howiebearse wrote:this subject really belongs somewhere else besides this boards I believe all here are purists that collect the SKS as it was issued and are extremely happy to keep them that way.
I have to agree. I have already stated here that removing the original issued mag and replacing it with an after market is a Modification.
No different to me than replacing the original stock with a Tapco T6.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

This forum is a good place to offer alternatives to permanent modifications.
One nice think about the SKS with the original magazine is you can bench shoot it and shoot it prone.
The CZ is a good alternative, and I think if you want AK mags get an AK. Or one of the Chinese models that were designed for them.
There was a really nice type M with the thumbhole stock that sold on gunbroker for around $560 if I remember right. So please when some one asks about a modification, suggest viable alternatives.
This website is really catching on so you can actually save a milsurp!
We have met the enemy and he is us.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

it may be a good place to discuss SKS but its supposed to be for collectors that preserve the guns. Modifications done by the original country and Military are acceptable but anything after they surplused it are modifications that are not of interest here. I am speaking for myself others that run this boards can speak up But I would get rid of these posts so as not to get more started . Plenty of places for them to talk about all that stuff available to add on to a perfectly designed gun.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I personally think the SKS looks like shit with an extended magazine, I have handled a few of the aftermarket magazines and found them to be cheap, and some were even made from plastic. AK's are a rifle made to use a 30 rounder, designed for it from the start, and they look good with one attached, the SKS looks out of place with a long mag sticking out the bottom. Mall Ninja stuff, if you can't get it done with ten rounds 20, or 30 ain't gonna help you much.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I personally think the SKS looks like shit with an extended magazine, I have handled a few of the aftermarket magazines and found them to be cheap, and some were even made from plastic. AK's are a rifle made to use a 30 rounder, designed for it from the start, and they look good with one attached, the SKS looks out of place with a long mag sticking out the bottom. Mall Ninja stuff, if you can't get it done with ten rounds 20, or 30 ain't gonna help you much.
I agree totally.

This is almost the same as putting on an extended mag on a Mosin. What is the point? If you like the AK look, buy a AK.

Although this magazine is not a permanent alteration of the firearm (so not technically a violation of the forums rules), it is useless and not a plus to the function or look of the SKS.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The only benefit of this post being in this forum is the fact that this is the most likely place for someone considering this to find the info. I know that the plastic mags even state that mods are needed to the gun to make them work. These are all junk in my opinion. the factory mags work perfectly. Best to leave it alone
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

THe SKS is a classic. It should not be altered and i think it looks excellant unaltered. My quest for an original mag a while back was unrewarded and they seem to be hard to find. I did find a 20 rd "shark fin" To be able to return the one i have to close to original. (It was previoulsly altered by someone else). Is there a better supply of original magazines now or is this still a problem? :D
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Last year i had to return three , 30 round metal SKS magazines to a supplier in Abeline,TX because they were faulty. Tried different ammo but all hung up about 20 rounds in, after 20, the ammo would stick and I had to take it apart to get one unloaded. The supplier actually charged me top price of $19.99 ea. + shipping. and said they were the "good" ones (the best he had). He did refund my $ minus my shipping cost. Aim said they quit handling them at all. Tried a used one at gun show it works but is rusty. So i went back to the legal hunting 5 round for now. That's what i use it for anyhow. I have a T56 got it for $200.00 in excellent condition but is heavy with flash supp. bayonet and extra grenade launching stuff. Very accurate though and rugged. Still prefer an AK47 for semi- auto 30 or MN for hunting. good luck JGC :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Back In the 90's there was a plastic 30 rounder around, you had to stick a little knob into the side of it to slide the ammo down during loading, a friend of mine bought one and it split right down the side. I laughed my ass off when that happened, I warned him not to bother with it. The plastic stock with the folding buttstock was a common item back then, after 1994 they made it so it wouldn't fold to comply with the new crime bill. There used to be a red plastic stock for them as well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

you can modify the extended magazines to use stripper clips by cutting back on the back of the feed lips to match the geometry of the fixed mag.

the only probably i've had with them is that you need three hands to remove a loaded mag from the gun, since you can't pull the mag out with the bolt closed.
We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Jackson wrote:you can modify the extended magazines to use stripper clips by cutting back on the back of the feed lips to match the geometry of the fixed mag.

the only probably i've had with them is that you need three hands to remove a loaded mag from the gun, since you can't pull the mag out with the bolt closed.
I see, now we tell people how to also modify after market mags so they can make them work. When will the Tapco stocks, scope mounts and the rest come up. Those can be reversible also. It's a very slippery slope here right now.