Type 53 Vietnam bring back

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Paladin507

Type 53 Vietnam bring back

Post by Paladin507 »

Hi,
I’m new to the Forum, I’m cleaning up a type 53 (1960) Vietnam bring back. Replaced broken and missing parts. All numbers match, it appears to me that the stock has been changed seems to be very primitive, it’s very rough inside. It has slots for sling, and has the holes for cross bolt but a cross bolt won’t fit and I will not alter this rifle. Also a butt plate does not fit, possibly the stock was shortened.

Any thoughts ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Type 53 Vietnam bring back

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Paladin507 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:03 am Hi,
I’m new to the Forum, I’m cleaning up a type 53 (1960) Vietnam bring back. Replaced broken and missing parts. All numbers match, it appears to me that the stock has been changed seems to be very primitive, it’s very rough inside. It has slots for sling, and has the holes for cross bolt but a cross bolt won’t fit and I will not alter this rifle. Also a butt plate does not fit, possibly the stock was shortened.

Any thoughts ?
These rifles weren't used by the NVA, they were the rifles given to the VC in the south, and Charlie was both rough on a weapon and using them in extreme conditions. These rifles tend to be in rough shape today, and worse, some were deliberately sabotaged by the VC and left were some GI would find it. Beware of any bolt that's painted, or stained black as that could be one indication of a purposefully softened bolt set to blow if GI Joe fired his captured enemy rifle. I would leave the rifle as is, broken parts and all, this is a piece of history that graphically illustrates the sort of enemy we were fighting over there at the time, or at least one of the enemy's anyway. The NVA had the more modern gear. Rough as it is, that is the condition it was in when last used by Charlie. My own VC bringhome is also matching number, something that was not common with the rough condition type 53's imported from China in the late 1980's. No import marks is also another good indicator of a VC bringhome, however in my case I bought it directly from the veteran so I know the history.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt