AR Backup Sights

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

AR Backup Sights

Post by ffuries »

Need some input from people with experience with them. Looking to get my SIL a set of backup iron sights for his first AR he purchased last month (ATI MilSport). Someone gave him a Centerpoint Red Dot Optic for it, which my google-fu keeps coming up with Airsoft links. I could be wrong on the optic being for Airsoft, but to be safe I'll be looking into optics also.

Was looking at the MBUS, as an option, lots of good reviews on the Gen 2's but not seeing much on the Gen 3's.

So those that have experience with MBUS 2's or 3's what are your opinions?

Anyone have experience with other brands of backup sights that you would recommend?

Being it's his first AR he's excited over it, I'm looking at getting it complete for him. I've got a single point sling inbound for him. Figured he can start out with the backup iron sights once I get them, after that I'll look into getting a proper optic for it.

I have no knowledge on backup sights or optics, as all the M16's (M16 and M16A2) I ever fired or carried, as an USAF dinosaur, had iron sights installed and no optics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tjtM38

Re: AR Backup Sights

Post by tjtM38 »

The only experience I have is with this rifle, a Colt M4 that has a Magpul MBUS mounted with a Vortex SPARC AR. I couldn't even call this a backup sight as I consider it part of the rifle's main sighting system. I have the optic mounted with enough riser to provide lower 1/3 coexistence with the red dot sight. This enables me to either use the MBUS up or just put it down and go with red dot only. Looking at your rifle, a railed AR with scope, it's going to work a lot different. I simply used the F-marked A2 front sight with the MBUS, sighting the rifle with irons only when I first got it. The MBUS has no elevation adjustment; this required the front sight to be adjusted for elevation. I sighted the carbine at 100 yards then added the red dot and zeroed it for the same distance. Now when I look through the optic in the lower 1/3, it pairs nicely with the rear sight, very visible with even the small aperature, and the red dot appears to sit precisely above the front sight. For a 1x optic (no magnification) this makes for a fast, accurate target acquisition. By the way, I think this MBUS is a Gen 2, but I really don't know how to tell the difference. I bought it several years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I use these. You will have to put the red dot on a .83 riser to get the sights and the red dot to co-witness. I like these as they have fiber-optic inserts in them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314711973877?m ... media=COPY
entropy

Post by entropy »

I have an MBUS and a CT red/green dot on the house rifle. Yes, rifle. I converted that one to a rifle with a 16" barrel. It shoots fine either way. It's SWMBO's HD gun, as she didn't like any of the handguns. I told her to not bother turning the red dot on, just center the round field in the CT on the perp's chest and fire. Repeat if needed.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

The Magpul MBUS is fine. I prefer the Troy Battle Sight and Daniel Defense sights myself. Most of mine with flip up sights have the Troy Battle Sight on them.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...