Gates of Hell......

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Gates of Hell......

Post by ffuries »

Panama City, Florida temperatures today were stated as 94° to 98° depending on where you look, with 56% to 60% humidity, with feel like temperatures of 100° to 115°.

However you call the weather, I found the damn Gates of Hell, it's currently right out my front door. Just taking a single bag of trash down to the can, and rolling the damn near empty can down to the road, I ended up soaked, you'd think I had been out in the rain.

I seriously left a trail of sweat drops on the floor walking from the front door to the MBR to dry off and change out of street clothes into my I'm being lazy house clothes. All the curtains are closed, the AC is blowing nice and cold, all the ceiling fans on and it's a nice comfortable 68° in the house.

CINC Household did BLTs and potato salad for dinner, and now I'm sitting on the couch under the AC vent, chilling literally, ah.......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Gates of Hell......

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hear the same thing as a constant complaint from my friend down near you. I remind him he's much closer to the equator than I am, therefore, the tropics are his reality. 60 this morning, might hit 84 later, air quality sucks again due to the wildfires up north. Trash can? I bring the trash out to the dumpster at the shop early in the AM. Racoons used to knock over a trash can we had back in the day, now we have bears back in the area. Bears don't knock over trash cans, they pick them up and fling them down the street.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

It's the same here in Ole Miss. :very mad:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Same here in Louisiana, like an oven when I open the door. When I lived in the central valley of California it would get to 112 and 114 and that was real temps. The humidity was a lot lower then the 70% to 80% it is here but it was still like an oven. Plus I was an auto tech and had to go out and get in cars that had all the windows up to test drive them, sometimes with broken A/C. I really don't miss those days.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

WeldonHunter wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:50 pm Same here in Louisiana, like an oven when I open the door. When I lived in the central valley of California it would get to 112 and 114 and that was real temps. The humidity was a lot lower then the 70% to 80% it is here but it was still like an oven. Plus I was an auto tech and had to go out and get in cars that had all the windows up to test drive them, sometimes with broken A/C. I really don't miss those days.
I was stationed at George AFB, CA it was in the Mojave Desert in Victorville....Damn did it get hot there, no humidity like you said.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:29 pm It's the same here in Ole Miss. :very mad:
I thought Florida was hot and humid until I got to Keesler AFB in Biloxi Miss. I swear it was hotter and more humid than Panama City was. Columbus AFB Miss wasn't too bad, but still a shock to me as I was coming from a 4 year tour in Germany.

When I relocated to Tyndall AFB FL, 5 months after getting to Columbus AFB, I couldn't believe how damn cold it was in the winter here back then. Then summer came and I was dying, went to the barbershop and got a high-n-tight and never looked back. Prior to that my hair was a wind gust away from being out of regulations.

Florida has gotten hotter over the years, our winters milder and shorter.

I think Kuwait and Oman are the hottest places I've been!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

ffuries wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:32 pm
WeldonHunter wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:50 pm Same here in Louisiana, like an oven when I open the door. When I lived in the central valley of California it would get to 112 and 114 and that was real temps. The humidity was a lot lower then the 70% to 80% it is here but it was still like an oven. Plus I was an auto tech and had to go out and get in cars that had all the windows up to test drive them, sometimes with broken A/C. I really don't miss those days.
I was stationed at George AFB, CA it was in the Mojave Desert in Victorville....Damn did it get hot there, no humidity like you said.
I lived in a little town called Tracy, CA east of Oakland just over the Altamont pass for about 12 years and those temps were the highest I'd ever been in before I took a trip to Vegas in 2004 and came in from the Arizona side across the Hoover Dam and it was 117. We stopped at the overlook for the dam and this was the temp outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

WeldonHunter wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:45 am
I lived in a little town called Tracy, CA east of Oakland just over the Altamont pass for about 12 years and those temps were the highest I'd ever been in before I took a trip to Vegas in 2004 and came in from the Arizona side across the Hoover Dam and it was 117. We stopped at the overlook for the dam and this was the temp outside.
Here's the opposite extreme, this was taken in winter of 08, Sunny Florida my ass. This is what greeted me when I walked out of Billiting one fine morning (Sounds like a start to a Don Martin comic strip). My cup of coffee actually froze to the Jeep in the time it took to take these pictures. Yeap 17° then add in the wind chill, it was a nasty ass cold day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

ffuries wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:02 am
Here's the opposite extreme, this was taken in winter of 08, Sunny Florida my ass. This is what greeted me when I walked out of Billiting one fine morning (Sounds like a start to a Don Martin comic strip). My cup of coffee actually froze to the Jeep in the time it took to take these pictures. Yeap 17° then add in the wind chill, it was a nasty ass cold day.
I lived in Miami in the 60s when I was a kid for a few years but I was to young to remember the temps but in 1980 I moved to Daytona to go to AMI (American Motorcycle Institute) and was renting room on a screen porch from Jan. to May. Most of the time it was nice but we had a cold snap that froze the puddles by the house. Here this year we had a bad freeze that went to below 9 degrees. Killed a lot of trees and stuff that wouldn't normally have died. I was born and raised in Maryland so I'm used to the cold. I remember it being around 0 at times. We also have property in PA that we've had since I was a kid and I remember it it going to well below 0 like -15 or 20. Mom lived up there for a few years and only had a woodstove to heat the place and on one visit during one of those below zero times I remember we could only get the temp in the house to about 45. Your breath would freeze as to exhaled when you were outside. BTW Great nane Mike, that's my name too!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

We've had lots of nights here thru June that dropped into the 50's, and mild days until this week.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

WeldonHunter wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:29 pm
I lived in Miami in the 60s when I was a kid for a few years but I was to young to remember the temps but in 1980 I moved to Daytona to go to AMI (American Motorcycle Institute) and was renting room on a screen porch from Jan. to May. Most of the time it was nice but we had a cold snap that froze the puddles by the house. Here this year we had a bad freeze that went to below 9 degrees. Killed a lot of trees and stuff that wouldn't normally have died. I was born and raised in Maryland so I'm used to the cold. I remember it being around 0 at times. We also have property in PA that we've had since I was a kid and I remember it it going to well below 0 like -15 or 20. Mom lived up there for a few years and only had a woodstove to heat the place and on one visit during one of those below zero times I remember we could only get the temp in the house to about 45. Your breath would freeze as to exhaled when you were outside. BTW Great nane Mike, that's my name too!
We've got a few things in common....Same awesome name, both lived in the Miami area (We were at Homestead AFB 80-82, I was 13-15), my wife was born in Maryland and her family is from there, she also has family in Pennsylvania.

Florida also got that bad freeze this year, almost all the trees in our subdivision were killed. My next door neighbor all 4 of his different types of fruit trees got graveyarded. Weird that we had such a mild winter, but ended up with a severe cold snap that dropped the temperature by 30 or 40 degrees in one day.

Lived in Germany 3 times and Spain once and didn't have AC for a total of 11 years. Everywhere else we had AC, except Okinawa when we lived off base for 6 months.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

ffuries wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:04 pm
WeldonHunter wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:29 pm
We've got a few things in common....Same awesome name, both lived in the Miami area (We were at Homestead AFB 80-82, I was 13-15), my wife was born in Maryland and her family is from there, she also has family in Pennsylvania.

Florida also got that bad freeze this year, almost all the trees in our subdivision were killed. My next door neighbor all 4 of his different types of fruit trees got graveyarded. Weird that we had such a mild winter, but ended up with a severe cold snap that dropped the temperature by 30 or 40 degrees in one day.

Lived in Germany 3 times and Spain once and didn't have AC for a total of 11 years. Everywhere else we had AC, except Okinawa when we lived off base for 6 months.
Man that is a lot of things in common for sure Mike. Tell your wife if she goes back to visit family in Maryland they can "warsh da car and head downy ocean hon!" I still have lots of friends and hundreds of cousins in Maryland. My mom's family, the Cavey's and Knight's have been in Maryland since about the 1680s and all the Cavey's are related. They had huge families. My 4th great grandparents had 12 kids and 8 to 12 kids was normal for our family. One cousin had 15 kids. My great granddad was one of 12 also and his dad was one of 10. We lived on the third floor in a 90 year old three story Victorian house in the late 60s early 70s in Catonsville, Maryland that had been turned in to apartments with no A/C. First place we lived that had A/C was when we moved to an apartment that had it when I was like 12.