New to me Remington Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mtudb24

New to me Remington Mosin Nagant

Post by mtudb24 »

All
First, thanks for the add. My son and I do WWII reenacting. We are mostly a US GI / Marine faction with M1 garands and BAR's but my son has been doing more and more Russian reenacting over the past couple of years. We have a run of the mill Mosin from 1937 but we just acquired a Remington 1918 Mosin. No idea that Remington made Mosin's. I can't seem to find much on the web of Remington 1918 Mosin's. Serial number 92308 and a stock number of IN STPU CTIE
Any ideas on the history of this rifle would be greatly appreciated. Seems like Remington built about 850K of the Mosin's but can't seem to get anymore info then that.
Its fully functional and fires just fine.
Remington 1918.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: New to me Remington Mosin Nagant

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is an outstanding Remington. Could you photo the rest of the rifle any other markings that are visible? Other markings, or no markings, will tell a bit more about the history. From the limited info provided, it is quite interesting.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
mtudb24

Post by mtudb24 »

stock numbering.jpg
Buttplate number.jpg
Bolt number.jpg
Floor plate number resized.jpg
The floor plate mag seems to match the serial number on the barrel of 92308
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtudb24

Post by mtudb24 »

I believe the stock markings means its an instructional weapon meaning it was maybe a training rifle of some sort? Others has have said something about looking up Michigan polar bears and some sort of Expidenotry Force that was sent to Russia. ANd there is a monument near my home town in Troy Michigan for this group. No idea.
mtudb24

Post by mtudb24 »

Remington Mosin in foreground. 1937 Mosin in background
edaggett

Post by edaggett »

So this is a Romanian trainer rifle, right? What a fascinating history it must have. 1918 date stamp, so it wasn't sent to Russia. Would have been purchased by the US government to bail Remington out. But somehow it got to the Balkans. Were we giving aid to White forces in the form of rifles? Perhaps this one was captured in the Russian civil war? Are these "INSTPUCTIE" rifles common? I imagine this would be the only documented 1918 Remington of the sort... right?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

edaggett wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:43 pm So this is a Romanian trainer rifle, right? What a fascinating history it must have. 1918 date stamp, so it wasn't sent to Russia. Would have been purchased by the US government to bail Remington out. But somehow it got to the Balkans. Were we giving aid to White forces in the form of rifles? Perhaps this one was captured in the Russian civil war? Are these "INSTPUCTIE" rifles common? I imagine this would be the only documented 1918 Remington of the sort... right?
Likely it was left behind by US forces during the North Russian intervention in 1919 and later sent to the newly formed communist countries in the Balkans after WW2.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt