Another railroad watch

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
awalker1829

Another railroad watch

Post by awalker1829 »

I’ve been doing a bit of collecting lately and here’s another watch of interest.

This watch is a private label Hamilton Grade 940 that was made for jeweler Andrew Krecker Jobe of Jackson, Tennessee. The watch dates to 1901.

This is the dial of the watch.

Here is a photo of a Ball Watch Company Grade 999A-based on the Hamilton Grade 940. Notice any similarities with the other dial?

The first one is very similar to the second AND THAT WAS INTENDED to be so. Andrew Krecker Jobe was a top dealer for the Ball Watch Company. Ball permitted only a select few of their top dealers to put the Trade Mark dial on their private label watches. Private label watches were made by all of the major watch manufacturers and sold under private brand names or jeweler’s names. The buyer could have their name put on the watch movement, dial or both. Movements were usually marked at no extra cost but dials were usually fifty cents or a dollar extra. The most desirable private label watches have marked movements and dials. There was usually a minimum order of five watches for private labels.

As it turned out, Jobe was an official watch inspector for both the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway and the Illinois Central Railroad. He had stores in Jackson, Tennessee and Water Valley, Mississippi. These towns were division points on the Illinois Central Railroad Water Valley Division. This was the railroad division that John Luther “Casey” Jones was assigned to from 1892 until early 1900 as a locomotive engineer. Jones and his family lived in Jackson during this period. He would have had his Waltham Grade 35 railroad watch inspected and serviced by Jobe’s shop.

Jobe died in 1906 at the age of 40 due to typhoid fever. His three sons were also taken ill with the fever but survived. One would later die while in training at an Army camp in 1918 of the flu.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Another railroad watch

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Great watch, I still dabble a bit in collecting these. Not necessarily RR grade movements, but nice cases with 17 jewel or higher movements inside. Being it costs almost $300 to get one serviced here I stick to higher end movements like RR grade to make it worthwhile. Great find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Cool, love how these old watches look and how damn accurate they are.

I've got a watch that belong to my moms great uncle. He was a Dutch Merchant Mariner, met him when I was a young kid, around age 4 or 5, he had a large sailing ship tattooed on his chest. My mom ended up with it, and I got it from her before she passed. Its been cleaned, serviced and oiled, but over time before I aquired it, one of the hands had been broken off.

Even with it on my being a 6 jewel watch, it keeps pretty good time.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

what....?

Post by tomaustin »

" he had a large sailing ship tattooed on his chest. My mom ended up with it, and I got it from her before she passed"
ffuries

Re: what....?

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:11 pm " he had a large sailing ship tattooed on his chest. My mom ended up with it, and I got it from her before she passed"
Should have changed the order......LOL mom and I ended up with the watch, he kept the tattoo.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

having been around through a lengthy period of your health issues, you seem to be doing much better......
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:07 pm having been around through a lengthy period of your health issues, you seem to be doing much better......
Meds have gotten the GERD under control, hoping the AFib incidents were anomalies, and I don't need another ablation done. After getting sick several times over a few months (Tested negative for COVID), but sick as a dog, I'm glad I'm over that. I'm glad to be up and around, going to gunshows, playing with my guns, amd back to posting on the forum.

Sciatica still gives me issues, more so now with using a wedge pillow for the GERD. I tend to have a minor case of sore throat, don't know if it's from snoring at night, or related to the Barrett's Esophagus.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:20 pm I’ve been doing a bit of collecting lately and here’s another watch of interest.

This watch is a private label Hamilton Grade 940 that was made for jeweler Andrew Krecker Jobe of Jackson, Tennessee. The watch dates to 1901.

This is the dial of the watch.

Here is a photo of a Ball Watch Company Grade 999A-based on the Hamilton Grade 940. Notice any similarities with the other dial?

The first one is very similar to the second AND THAT WAS INTENDED to be so. Andrew Krecker Jobe was a top dealer for the Ball Watch Company. Ball permitted only a select few of their top dealers to put the Trade Mark dial on their private label watches. Private label watches were made by all of the major watch manufacturers and sold under private brand names or jeweler’s names. The buyer could have their name put on the watch movement, dial or both. Movements were usually marked at no extra cost but dials were usually fifty cents or a dollar extra. The most desirable private label watches have marked movements and dials. There was usually a minimum order of five watches for private labels.

As it turned out, Jobe was an official watch inspector for both the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway and the Illinois Central Railroad. He had stores in Jackson, Tennessee and Water Valley, Mississippi. These towns were division points on the Illinois Central Railroad Water Valley Division. This was the railroad division that John Luther “Casey” Jones was assigned to from 1892 until early 1900 as a locomotive engineer. Jones and his family lived in Jackson during this period. He would have had his Waltham Grade 35 railroad watch inspected and serviced by Jobe’s shop.

Jobe died in 1906 at the age of 40 due to typhoid fever. His three sons were also taken ill with the fever but survived. One would later die while in training at an Army camp in 1918 of the flu.
Back on topic....How hard is it to change out the hand on watch, if I find a replacement?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:19 pm
awalker1829 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:20 pm
Back on topic....How hard is it to change out the hand on watch, if I find a replacement?
There is a tool for this, hands are very delicate, the movement can be damaged if the hand is roughly removed.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

No kidding. I accidentally broke broke a pivot off the balance staff of a watch I was changing hands on. Sheared it off. Balance staffs are cheap-it’s paying the watchmaker to fit it that’s expensive. Pivots have to be polished and it has to be riveted to the balance wheel.
Laager

Post by Laager »

Those ar really nice looking pokey watches.
While I do like Railroad watches, I do not have any in my collection of pocket watches.
I do have several older watches starting from the late 1880’s.
Makes me want to branch out.
Ma Deuce

Post by Ma Deuce »

Hi I saw your post on old railroad watchs.And I got this watch not long ago from a family member. We are not sure if it is a railroad watch and thought maybe you could tell us what it was and if it was.And if it has any value.I do know it is very old and has been in the family for many years mostly my Grandmother then my mother . But anyway it has neat engraving and I think it is silver and I thought maybe you could enlighten us on if it belongs in the Kids toys
IMG_1029.JPG
or family airloom pile ,Deuce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Locle case is Swiss, not sure who made the unmarked movement. Not likely to be worth a great deal of money, but priceless as a family heirloom. Not a US acceptable railroad watch as they had very strict standards for such.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ma Deuce

Post by Ma Deuce »

thank you very much for the fast reply ! Deuce