Early Barrel Band Replacment Screw

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Dburnette25

Early Barrel Band Replacment Screw

Post by Dburnette25 »

I have an front barrel band for a early Mosin that lost its screw at one point and I was hoping to be able to fix it as I would hate to just give up on it.

I was curious if anyone out there was able to find a solution to this problem and hoping its not just a lost cause.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Early Barrel Band Replacment Screw

Post by millman »

Look at #2 domed head slotted wood screws. I think 2 is about the right size. I got some at the hardware store. Get the steel ones and "age" it to match. Looks like the originals.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Dburnette25

Post by Dburnette25 »

millman wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:02 pm Look at #2 domed head slotted wood screws. I think 2 is about the right size. I got some at the hardware store. Get the steel ones and "age" it to match. Looks like the originals.
Wouldn't I need to modify it some make it look like an original? Since there is no threading for most of the length until you almost get the base of the head?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Dburnette25 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:11 pm
millman wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:02 pm Look at #2 domed head slotted wood screws. I think 2 is about the right size. I got some at the hardware store. Get the steel ones and "age" it to match. Looks like the originals.
Wouldn't I need to modify it some make it look like an original? Since there is no threading for most of the length until you almost get the base of the head?
You aren't gonna need one over a half inch long. The short ones are threaded the entire length. Yes you will have to "age" it. I heated mine red with a propane torch and dropped them in some old nasty black oil.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Is that the left hand thread screw ? There is something "screwy" about that band screw on M-91.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:27 am
Is that the left hand thread screw ? There is something "screwy" about that band screw on M-91.
I am not sure if the screw being referred to is the the machine screw that is part of the band, or the small wood screw that kept the band from moving. If it is the captive machine screw, it is not left-handed even though it seems like it until you look how it actually operates. The wood screw is an easy replacement, the other not so much.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Remember the old screw tightened barrel bands went left tight, right loose, and is the reason so many are missing the screws. We broke them going the wrong way.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:05 am
steelbuttplate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:27 am
I am not sure if the screw being referred to is the the machine screw that is part of the band, or the small wood screw that kept the band from moving. If it is the captive machine screw, it is not left-handed even though it seems like it until you look how it actually operates. The wood screw is an easy replacement, the other not so much.
I thought we were talking about the little wood screw. If this is about the main band screw, then SA1911 is correct. Not a good fix.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I fixed one of those, got it to tighten and function with another machine screw, I can't remember exactly, it wasn't correct but was functional. The only place you might get the right one is Tula, Russia.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have "original looking" wood screws in plain steel. The head is different then what you usually see.

If it's the main tightening screw and left handed, I don't have that one.