Bear Necessities

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
SA1911a1

Bear Necessities

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have developed a fondness for old American Made folding hunter type knives. This is some of Shrade's offerings (Back when Schrade was Made in USA) Taylor Brands bought the rights to Schrade Knives and now make them, cheaply, in China. They look like the same knife, but the quality is not there. I find it interesting that the used Made in USA knives bring more money than the new Chinese made versions. That must gripe Taylor Brands to no end...

The Schrade series closely followed the Buck 110 in the 70s. It is arguable that the Schrade knives are better than the Buck, they are heavier, the blade is wider and thicker, the pins are bigger and the pivot is stainless rather than brass. In fact, I like the Schrade + version of stainless better than the Buck as well. (that will get some argument) I have a couple of older Bucks, and they are just not up to the Schrade standard. That does not go for the "modern" versions, the Buck is still quality made in the US and is better than modern production Schrades.

If you are in need of a shave, any of these will do: ;)

I am still looking for the LB1, LB3 and LB 5.

(L to right or bottom to top)

60T Golden Bear
70T Cave Bear
LB 7 Bear Paw
LB 8 Pappa Bear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Bear Necessities

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have had my original Uncle Henrys since the early 80's, and I did get one of the last USA made ones that I still have new in the box. The Chinesium shit does not cross the threshold in this house. Buck, Schrade USA, and Case make up most of my knives, plus the K-Bar's made here in upstate NY. I recently visited the Zippo museum in Bradford Pa that also contains a big Case display and shop. I came home with several very nice knives. A museum about, and a gift shop full of USA made products of high quality, I loaded up on stuff. The staff was so pleased with the sales that they custom engraved one of the all brass Zippo's with an auto brand name they aren't supposed to put on there. Great place, rural, I highly recommend a visit if you find yourself out in the wilds of Pennsylvania some day. There's a great candy shop in town with awesome chocolates.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Trade ya a Barlow and a German Cat knife for that Uncle Henry.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:14 pm Trade ya a Barlow and a German Cat knife for that Uncle Henry.
eBay is crawling with them, get you own damn knife! ;) I also have LB-8 with the Sears label, nickel silver bolsters instead of brass but the same knife from the same factory. Serious knife folks today that insist on the latest and greatest "super steel" for their blades really badmouth the Schrade + blades, but I have found that they will take and hold a razor's edge. I believe that most of the hype over blade material today is the result of marketing, not blade science. Of course, I am still a big fan of 1095 carbon steel for blades and I do not believe that it has been improved on to any reasonable extent.

While we are talking about blades, does anyone follow SVT-40 bayonet prices. My brother just sent me a link to one on an auction site that is over$650.00 with over 40 bidders and several days to go. Is that what those blades are bring now or is it a fluke?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm not the serious collector you are Steve, but I got a buncha pocket knives, I'll spread em out here soon. This one I've carried 30 years,It stays in my pocket except the 25 times a day I use it. I've got a new one with a full blade but I like this'n . It's sharp as a box cutter and not hard to touch up. Thin and strong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:40 pm I'm not the serious collector you are Steve, but I got a buncha pocket knives, I'll spread em out here soon. This one I've carried 30 years,It stays in my pocket except the 25 times a day I use it. I've got a new one with a full blade but I like this'n . It's sharp as a box cutter and not hard to touch up. Thin and strong.
I am not serious. I got thrown off the forum of serious knife collectors! When a moderator balled me out for typing the word "damn" I told him where he could go... I have seen those knives around for a while. I have carried a pocket knife since elementary school. I know what you mean about it coming out 20 times a day. When I was working with my tools I wore out more than one. I have seen the Mercator knives around and have wondered about the quality. They must be pretty good!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

They are, and still made in the tiny stone factory they were made at in WWII. Atlanta Cutlery used to Cary them, not expensive.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I was wrong I've only got half a pile of pocketknives, I've given several to my kids lately. Anyway here's most , or all I could find for now.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't collect folding knifes. I do have a bunch of them all over my house and garage! :chuckles:

But, I wouldn't call it a "collection".
I do have a "buck folder" about 8" over all (I think) that I snapped the blade off right at the base. Tried to get Buck to replace it (lifetime warranty) but all I seemed to get from them is scripture quotes or something. Long time ago. Not sure I even kept it now.

Hey Steve, I have a really nice small folder that has silver ends on it you can have. Only problem is, it has NRA stamped on it! :chuckles:

Also, I have a German folder (small) with a Swastika a nd some writting on it. Son has it now. Not worth a lot. All silver handle. It is real and not a fake. My Dad bought it to replace his pocket knife when it broke years ago. Used to eat apples at lunch time in our shop. He would sit down next to a guy that was a German and served in WWII on the German side. My Dad served during WWII on the USA side. When he would pull it out to peel his apple, the guy would get up and leave! :chuckles: My Dad didn't like the guy anyway! :chuckles: ;mywink;

Darryl
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Knife collectors won't even talk to me...I am just hoarding a pile of blades that no one else wants; working men's knives from my childhood through my working career. I do have a nice smattering of WWII knives, but not of them have any great value. I think my most expensive knife is worth about a couple of hundred bucks. What I do get a kick out of is buying one, cheaply, that has been badly abused and putting it on the road to recovery. I will buy a $40.00 dollar knife, put $200.00 worth of labor in it and have a $45.00 knife, but I love every minute of it. I can, and will, flip them on eBay for a few bucks, but that is not the point.

I have funny ideas about knives. I like carbon steel blades and natural handles, things that I understand and know how to work with. I do like a few SS knives, but I prefer carbon. I don't care about any knife that was not made in the US, so that eliminates about 95% of currently produced knives. I do like to work on the blades and it gives me great satisfaction to hand sharpen a blade to scalpel sharpness. I have just about shaved off all of the hair on both legs testing blades lately. I will have to wear long pants all summer.

It was much like my fascination with Soviet rifles but It takes a lot less room and a lot less money to play with knives instead of guns. I have only bought one surplus rifle in the past year. The knife thing is just something to keep my old hands busy and keep me out of the night clubs and cat houses. I have traded hot women for sharp knives, and I am better off for it! ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

]One thing I have that will cut the hardest steel, the sandstone grinding wheel.