I broke a promise to myself, m39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sheepdog

I broke a promise to myself, m39

Post by sheepdog »

Back in 2017 when I retired for the first time I vowed no more toys only sell them. I've only broke that promise three times and I have sold more than I've bought.

A few of you know my thing is Swedish Mausers but I did manage to come up with a 36 hex 91/30 back in the day. It shoots darn good but I shoot some darn accurate Swedes and really appreciate that.
I had some mad money on December 31 due to a decent bet and a $5 here and a $100 there. I've always wanted one of these. Off of another forum's sales site, $850 total :beek: and I talked him down $75. 42 Sako on an 1895 Tula receiver, nice shiny bore with lots of life left. It just hit my front door. Two unopened tins of Russian light ball purchase way back when. I'm ready to see what I've heard is true.

1942 Sako m39 1 (3).jpg
1942 Sako m39 ser no (2).jpg
1942 Sako m39 numbered bolt (2).jpg
1942 Sako m39 bottom mag..jpg
1942 Sako m39 bullet test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I broke a promise to myself, m39

Post by millman »

Nice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

you have a good eye.......
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

What you heard is true. :wink: Liberty has web slings.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:55 am What you heard is true. :wink: Liberty has web slings.
Got a gray green leather one coming from Finland, a worn web sling just wouldn't look right. :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

sheepdog wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:12 am
steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:55 am What you heard is true. :wink: Liberty has web slings.
Got a gray green leather one coming from Finland, a worn web sling just wouldn't look right. :vcool:
We should have a shooting match at the Georgia line, Sako vs. Sako.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:56 am
I'm 35 or 40 miles from the N.C. line. I'll bring an m/96 too. I have those figured out.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

sheepdog wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:20 am
I'm 35 or 40 miles from the N.C. line. I'll bring an m/96 too. I have those figured out.
About the same distance. Which highway do you come up ? I'm bringing the one-holer against that Swede.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:12 pm
sheepdog wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:20 am
About the same distance. Which highway do you come up ? I'm bringing the one-holer against that Swede.
Only one I've ever come up to N.C. is U.S. 441/23. I've only been in Georgia since August, 2020.

I'll take it easy on you, I'll bring the #3 barrel.😁
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I can work with this. Only 50 yards and the State of Georgia built their range with rifles looking south. By mid March the sun gets right but it's tough on 68 years old eyes and iron sights right now. Hopefully come April this is what average 5 shot 100 yard groups look like. Bottom of the magazine popping open has been the only real issue. Seemed to improve after fooling with the needle nose and that little hook that holds it up. Field repair. Bolt ain't super after a weekend long gasoline soak and oiling but might be loosening up a little. I had to play with one of my m/96 bolts when I got home, seemed to calm me.
1942 Sako 01 24 23 (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That looks like a excellent find right there. Beautiful to say the least and from the looks of your 50 yard target might even hang with the Swedish rifles. Congrats