Bulgarian spam can issue?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
14sutten

Bulgarian spam can issue?

Post by 14sutten »

As if having an issue with m44 wasn’t enough now it won’t even chamber any of the 440 rd spam can from Bulgaria. Wondering if anyone has had any issues with this ammo or if this gun just really hates me. The bolt can only be pushed into the chamber but not closed. I’m getting very annoyed of this gun and it’s inability to work and how much money I’m spending trying to make it work again. Any help would be great. Just for clarification I bought this to test if my issue of the hard bolt was fixed only to find now all 440rds are useless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Bulgarian spam can issue?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do you have, or know someone with another Mosin? If so, then test the ammo in that rifle and see if the same issue continues. Commie surplus ammo was known to have slight variations in spec, this is one of the reasons point of impact tends to drift a bit when swapping from one make of ammo to another. Cast the rifles chamber and measure it to see what that is going on with it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I've shot up 3 cans of Bulgarian tins without any issues. I hope there is not a problem because I have 4 more to go!

Darryl
14sutten

Post by 14sutten »

Sadly I do not have anyone I know who has a Mosin. However after being able to chamber a round forcefully and then having to smack the bolt back open I did notice there was scratches in the neck of the cartridge. I do not know guns very well but could this mean possibly a burn or obstruction in the chamber?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
14sutten

Post by 14sutten »

Ok so been chambering rounds for a while now and now I can forcefully close the bolt on every round. I have to smack the bolt open as well. Is this sticky bolt?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It is really hard to see the varnish that builds up in there. It is most likely "stick bolt." Clean that chamber, and when you think you have it clean, clean it again. Use a good solvent and good brushes. No power tool shortcuts. Both your rifle and ammo are more likely fine than not.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Does every round come out looking like that? Have you had this same issue with different ammo?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
14sutten

Post by 14sutten »

Yes all the ammo comes out with the same scratches at the neck. I had an issue chambering rounds before with Russian and Yugo surplus but never had an issue extracting it. The bolt would also No close all the time but now it is closing on every round just with force. Before using other ammo the bolt was effortless to open now needs to be slapped open.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am thinking you have a section of broken shell jammed in there. Sticky bolt is caused by dry grease and case lacquer transfer on the chamber walls, it will hold a case in the chamber once it heats up and acts like glue, but it will not rip up the metal like that. That's a serious obstruction in there and will need a broken case extractor to remove. Either that or someone took and awl and forcibly scratched the neck area of the chamber, and what would be the point of that. You have a small ring of metal in there that the case necks are being forced into. Have a gunsmith look it over and remove the problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

JYD’s previous advice of taking a chamber cast is where I would start. Plus, if it is indeed a piece of stuck case, usually it will be removed by the chamber casting. Cerrosafe is the product you would use, it’s fairly inexpensive and is reusable.
14sutten

Post by 14sutten »

Thanks guys! I’ll reply in a while if it worked or not! This forum is very helpful just want to say! As a new gun owner this wartime m44 has really been trying to be a wall hangar but It will shoot properly one day!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:49 pm I am thinking you have a section of broken shell jammed in there. Sticky bolt is caused by dry grease and case lacquer transfer on the chamber walls, it will hold a case in the chamber once it heats up and acts like glue, but it will not rip up the metal like that. That's a serious obstruction in there and will need a broken case extractor to remove. Either that or someone took and awl and forcibly scratched the neck area of the chamber, and what would be the point of that. You have a small ring of metal in there that the case necks are being forced into. Have a gunsmith look it over and remove the problem.
I think it is something like this as well. Not an ammo issue.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

millman wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:23 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:49 pm I am thinking you have a section of broken shell jammed in there. Sticky bolt is caused by dry grease and case lacquer transfer on the chamber walls, it will hold a case in the chamber once it heats up and acts like glue, but it will not rip up the metal like that. That's a serious obstruction in there and will need a broken case extractor to remove. Either that or someone took and awl and forcibly scratched the neck area of the chamber, and what would be the point of that. You have a small ring of metal in there that the case necks are being forced into. Have a gunsmith look it over and remove the problem.
I think it is something like this as well. Not an ammo issue.
This is my thinking also. Especially since you're having issues with other ammo. Those scratches look like they were made by sharp metal in the neck area of the chamber. As Jim said it could a piece of old case stuck in the end of the chamber or damage caused by someone maybe trying to remove a stuck case or part of one stuck in the neck area. Have you looked in chamber? I just did this with one of mine. The chamber is the shape of the bullet. Remove the bolt and hold the muzzle end of the rifle to a light source either a lightbulb or outside in the sun. A ight bulb is a good bright source. The chamber tapers at the bottom where the neck area is and meets the rifling of the bore. It's actually at the bottom of the rifling of the bore and it a machined smooth ring at the base of the rifling. Look through the end of the receiver where the bolt came out in to the chamber to see if you can see scratches or any imperfections in the neck area or even a piece of old case neck. I'm betting that's where the problem is from looking at the scratches on that bullet's neck.
14sutten

Post by 14sutten »

Ah in the chamber I see (probably wording this wrong) looks like a chip in the chamber with some looser metal sticking up. This is right where it gets smaller right where It would line up with the neck on the round. So I imagine that is what is causing the issues then as you guys have stated. So best way to fix this? Take it to a gunsmith? Or is this something I can fix at home?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

14sutten wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:41 pm Ah in the chamber I see (probably wording this wrong) looks like a chip in the chamber with some looser metal sticking up. This is right where it gets smaller right where It would line up with the neck on the round. So I imagine that is what is causing the issues then as you guys have stated. So best way to fix this? Take it to a gunsmith? Or is this something I can fix at home?
I'll be honest there's not a lot the average guy could do with something like this. What I mean is the average guy isn't going to have some of the tools to address something like this. Like a borescope to see what's actually going on in there and reams if it comes to that. If it's just a piece of old case material stuck in the neck of the chamber you might be able to get it out with something like a broken case extractor as someone else suggested. This is a tough area to work in and try to fix any issue because it's in a very inaccessible place. If the neck of the chamber is actually gouged/scratched then unless you have the tools like a ream the correct size to clean it up it's probably something a gunsmith would have to attempt to correct. My money would be on this being gouges in the neck area from someone trying to dig an old piece of stuck casing in that area. Hopefully it's just a piece of old case still stuck in there. If you don't have a Broken Case Extraction tool and think that's what's in there Liberty Tree Collectors has some of them. I've never used one and have no idea how well they work but if you want to give it a try this is the page for them at the link below. I'll add one last thing. If you aren't confident diagnosing what you're seeing and deciding if it's a stuck piece of metal or actually gouges or damage to the chamber by all means find a local gunsmith and have them look at it before you buy anything or do any thing like filing or digging around in places that might cause more harm than good. I'm not a gunsmith but I was an auto technician for over 30 years so I have a lot of mechanical experience and might tackle things other people wouldn't.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=41