Gun show.......Not!

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Gun show.......Not!

Post by ffuries »

Went to the local gunshow today.....Total waste of money!

Got in the door and around the corner and the 4 additional rooms were closed off. There was literally 10 tables set up. Talking to one of the vendors there is supposedly some sort of conflict between the sponsor and owner of the building (Lots of rumors about fees). Saw one milsurp an SKS, and didn't get to handle it, as the vendor was too busy on his phone.

Needless to say a lot of people, us included, were not happy with what we saw. When we left I was letting people in the parking lot know how small it was. So we spent $20.00 for CINC Household and I to get in and we could literally see what was available as soon as we rounded the corner.

Checked the online gunshow schedule and the normal big gunhow is in 2 weeks on the beach side of town, so we'll hit that one.

Well I'm going to go take a nap, I was up before lunch and that's too damn early.......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Re: Gun show.......Not!

Post by SA1911a1 »

My brother and I had talked about going to that show. I am glad we didn't drive that 100 miles.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You guys' sound like you came to a show up here. Last one I did in the fall cost me five bucks to get in, everything supercharged on the price. I bought two boxes of bullets cheap from an older gent who didn't want to carry them back out, and they weren't even for me.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:11 pm My brother and I had talked about going to that show. I am glad we didn't drive that 100 miles.
There's the normal show scheduled for 17-18 December, at the Laketown Wharf & Convention Center on Panama City Beach, this one is being hosted by North Florida Gun & Knife Shows, who normally does them. Plus another one slated for 25-26 February 2023, same location.

Really don't know why, what, etc is behind the mini show on our side, but it sure and hell wasn't worth $10.00.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

We recently had a show. Lots of Milsurps with some decent prices... But, I took a trade and bought a 1978 Colt MkIII TRooper in .357. Kind of getting into the modern revolver world now.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:10 pm You guys' sound like you came to a show up here. Last one I did in the fall cost me five bucks to get in, everything supercharged on the price. I bought two boxes of bullets cheap from an older gent who didn't want to carry them back out, and they weren't even for me.
What scared me the most was one table (Actually had several tables in the center aisle, so two rows of tables) I looked at, he had well over 100 guns, all modern pistols and ARs. Starting telling me about the gun tax etc, and how they'll be able to track you due to your guns being papered (AFT Form 4473), and they'll show up at your door to confiscate them etc.

Then tells me, all his guns are for sale with no background check required, and you can get ammo for them at the same time. Said he is a private seller, etc, etc. Didn't even know where and what Dothan was.....Dothan is just up the road from us across the border in Alabama and they have/had a big gun show. Hell even Steve knows of Dothan. So this guy wasn't even a local guy....To many red flags there!
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

F troop plant by the sound of it, not that he had the right bait to attract me anyway. Put some rusty WW1-2 1911's, a few M1903's and I may glance that way then plan the unfortunate series of events that entrapment motherfucker would meet with on the way home that night. I know Florida is lax on gun laws and all that compared to New York, but not that lax. The show was too small to have a bunch of regulars there to warn you about the shit stick with the " no papers or ID required" guns. Exactly the sort of venue these guys like when trolling for careless idiots. I know you can buy guns, long and handgun at Florida flea markets and estate sales because a friend of mine down there see's such all the time. But that's one or two old junkers sold by an obvious old fart who had them 75 years, not a table full of brand new AR's and shit.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There is one coming up in Haywood Co. NC that will be kick ass. Dec. 17-18. :arrow: I'm hearing stuff about gun stores getting shut down by ATF, there are generally several "stores" from local cities that have multiple tables at these NC shows. Some of them may not be there we'll see. There will be plenty of guys there with collections bigger than mine anyways.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I miss the good old days & how gun shows were actually worth going to.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I got an email from ATF a couple months age stating anyone age 18-21 would require an advanced background check for any purchase of firearm or ammo. I'll have to require them be 21 or no sale. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can still be 18-21 and join the military where you can have advanced weapons systems to play with and die for your country, but not be able to own a .22 back home. What was it Himmler told Germans complaining about the new Nazi gun laws? Oh yea, if they wanted to shoot guns they could join the SS and shoot the enemies of the state or something like that.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:36 pm F troop plant by the sound of it, not that he had the right bait to attract me anyway. Put some rusty WW1-2 1911's, a few M1903's and I may glance that way then plan the unfortunate series of events that entrapment motherfucker would meet with on the way home that night. I know Florida is lax on gun laws and all that compared to New York, but not that lax. The show was too small to have a bunch of regulars there to warn you about the shit stick with the " no papers or ID required" guns. Exactly the sort of venue these guys like when trolling for careless idiots. I know you can buy guns, long and handgun at Florida flea markets and estate sales because a friend of mine down there see's such all the time. But that's one or two old junkers sold by an obvious old fart who had them 75 years, not a table full of brand new AR's and shit.
I agree that the setup stinks and I could be wrong, but I do not believe that it would be illegal under either state or federal laws to buy from the guy. Of course, it could have been a trap to catch prohibited buyers, but even then, it looks like they would need some I.D. to identify them. Maybe they had someone follow them to their cars and Id them that way. The bottom line is that the BATFE is cracking down on illegal gun sales and if, in the process, they are jailing bad dealers or buyers, more power to them.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Anyone, any age has to have a CC permit or a gun purchase permit from their Sherrif to buy a handgun. If they don't have either, it's an illegal sale. Long guns just require an ID from 21+ buyers.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Well the only thing this NC gunshow was missing was People ! It was a bust for me I made my table fee and gas money and sat on my ass two days telling punks that no, the M-44 they were looking at was not an AK 47. I think that might be my last. There was plenty of everything there, the guy beside me had a brand new SAW and belts of ammo for it. He sold 5-6 black rifles.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:16 pm Well the only thing this NC gunshow was missing was People ! It was a bust for me I made my table fee and gas money and sat on my ass two days telling punks that no, the M-44 they were looking at was not an AK 47. I think that might be my last. There was plenty of everything there, the guy beside me had a brand new SAW and belts of ammo for it. He sold 5-6 black rifles.
Got to remember people spend less money on guns around Christmas time. I've noticed over the years of going to shows, December shows are a toss up, sometimes they have a good crowd, but normally they don't. It was even worse here during the pandemic, went to a show and there was only about a dozen people including me looking.

All the milsurps at our show were still pandemic/post election priced. I didn't see a single milsurp under $600.00, that includes M91/30s. Sure the prices are coming down bit, but I don't know how low they'll go or what the new base price will be.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:40 pm Anyone, any age has to have a CC permit or a gun purchase permit from their Sherrif to buy a handgun. If they don't have either, it's an illegal sale. Long guns just require an ID from 21+ buyers.
Not so all the time at least in Michigan. I needed no Permit to Purchase and purchased a handgun from a Michigan FFL at the gun show. After the purchase, I went to the Sheriff to register it with the appropriate documentation created during the purchase. What you indicated would, however, be true for a personal (FTF) purchase from a non dealer. In that case a Permit would be required unless the purchaser had a CCW. In either case the state form RI-060 (Pistol Sales Record) would have to be completed as part of the "registration" which is used to get the purchase record into the State Police Database.

Long guns here do not have this requirement since they are not "tracked" by the state. Retail purchase requires a NICS (4473) but no notification to the state. A FTF personal transaction between citizens of the state does not require any background checks. Never made much sense to me... And the Feds and State governments are now trying to eliminate this "loop hole". Will see how they do. The big red wave didn't work out so well here. Now the legislature is Demoncratic as is the Governess. I guess it doesn't matter that it's rigged or not... It is what it is now and there are several bills now pending here whose intent it is to destroy our 2A rights...