New found Japanese type 99

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

New found Japanese type 99

Post by SA1911a1 »

My brother and I went for a long drive today, hitting the pawns and gun shops just window-shopping. I came across a type 99 stacked in a corner of "cheap" guns. I pulled it out of the stack and was shocked by the perfect mum smiling up at me. The rest of the rifle looked great for a late war rifle. The bore was perfect, and I was waiting for the sticker shock. When I asked, the guy said that those were on sale and I could get that one for $250.00 plus tax, tag and title. I handed it to my brother and his eyes got big and he is pointing at the mum. I just smiled. The photos were taken in bright sunlight and washed out the bluing, but the blue is mostly intact; it looks fine. The stock has the required number of dings to be honest, but is not beat to hell. My brief research makes me believe that it is a Series 37 from the Tokyo Juki Kogyo (Kokura Arsenal) (1940-45). The evidence that it was being produced as rapidly as possible shows on the tang and the magazine area, they spent no effort on refinement or polishing.

I know very little about the Arisakas, although I have owned several, An interesting thing, to me, is the rifle stock had never been drilled for a cleaning rod, I guess they didn't expect it to last long enough to need cleaning. (EDIT) I just found a site that said that the late-war 37s were not issued with a cleaning rod or a dust cover.

I am not going to get too attached to this one as it is going to be flipped to provide some additional juice for another planned purchase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SA1911a1 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New found Japanese type 99

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I stumbled on a 99 back in October, mid war with intact mum for the same price. Mine came from a flea market table where it wasn't supposed to be, but the gun police weren't paying attention that day. I made off with it quickly, and had to buy another WW2 army blanket to wrap it up in so we would make the car. The dust on mine is barn find epic, and I am slowly scrubbing it clean, but the blue looks OK, wood isn't dry rotted either, and that surprised me as 99's are not known for quality hardwoods used in the stocks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Very nice. :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

The type 99 Arisaka is a great rifle. I only have one; an early 1941 vintage that had an intact and unblemished mum with aircraft sights attached. The gun dealer had it listed as a "Mauser" so they didn't even know what they had. I also knew very little about the rifles and still don't have a great knowledge of all the markings and series. I guess you are aware that these rifles have a chrome-lined bore. I think it was one of the only WWII rifles that had one. Great for jungle warfare. The acion is looslely based on the Spainish 1893 Mauser with a different safety mechanism. That's a great find for the money you spent. Good luck finding ammo. There was no commercial rifle ever chambered in the 7.7x58 cartridge. Ammo companies produce a very limited quantity. The chamber dimensions on some rifles are very generous, and mine is also finicky about ammo. It is a great shooter, and I do have reloading dies for it, but I don't shoot it much. :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:18 pm The type 99 Arisaka is a great rifle. I only have one; an early 1941 vintage that had an intact and unblemished mum with aircraft sights attached. The gun dealer had it listed as a "Mauser" so they didn't even know what they had. I also knew very little about the rifles and still don't have a great knowledge of all the markings and series. I guess you are aware that these rifles have a chrome-lined bore. I think it was one of the only WWII rifles that had one. Great for jungle warfare. The acion is looslely based on the Spainish 1893 Mauser with a different safety mechanism. That's a great find for the money you spent. Good luck finding ammo. There was no commercial rifle ever chambered in the 7.7x58 cartridge. Ammo companies produce a very limited quantity. The chamber dimensions on some rifles are very generous, and mine is also finicky about ammo. It is a great shooter, and I do have reloading dies for it, but I don't shoot it much. :thumbsup:
There is some commercial ammo available at 2-3 dollars a round. I don't need to shoot it. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Great find!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That is a great find! Congratulations!!! Both of my Type 99's have scrubbed Mums. That are a fun, but expensive rifle to shoot.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...