Another old double.

Everything shotgun discussed here.
steelbuttplate

Another old double.

Post by steelbuttplate »

Somebody reblued and chromed parts of this old 12 ga. American gun Co.model O, It was made by Crescent around 1900. Laminated steel bbl. I'm shooting Winchester AA light loads in it and my Belgian double. The AA's are about like a .410 going off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Another old double.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

American Gun CO, Knickerbocker, New Empire, Crescent would put whatever name the buyer wanted on these if they bought a minimum number. These were the main hardware store gun of the 1890's-1900's, and they turn up all the time. I have many ten or more variations of this in 12, 16, and 20 gauge, I think I even have a 410. Both hammer and hammerless, twist barrels and fluid steel, flat and coil mainsprings. The company changed hands and became Stevens eventually, this was Americas working gun, and the main competition for the Belgian imports of that era. Many a young mans backside was peppered by one of these after the farmer caught him feeling up his daughter out in the barn. I see this one has the characteristic wrist crack all of them got sooner or later. I am told a new stock can be custom made now but the cost is two to three times the retail value of the gun. I have many shotguns, but I have had one of these on duty here since 1986, I pack black powder buckshot loads for it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another old double.

Post by millman »

Somebody polished on that one and reblued it. Cool old gun though.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis