PU sighting adjustments help

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Exp271

PU sighting adjustments help

Post by Exp271 »

Hello,

I was at the range yesterday sighting in my PU before deer season starts. I had to leave early but my 15 shot group was 3 inches high and 3.5 inches to the left at 100 meters. This was with with elevation drum set to 1 and windage drum set to 3.5 to the left. I just wanted to double check with you guys about the adjustments I need to make. I was thinking I need to grind the mount a little (not shim), and screw OUT the BOTTOM elevation screw a touch and screw in the top to match. What do you guys think, wouldnt this put things moving in the right direction?
WeldonHunter

Re: PU sighting adjustments help

Post by WeldonHunter »

Before you start grinding on anything make sure you research what you're trying to achieve. Remember once metal is gone it can't be put back. I have two PUs and have never had to do much in the way of major adjustment. I did a through the bore sighting adjustment initially and some finer adjustments while shooting. This video may help understand how and why adjustments can or need to be made.
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

Hi, thanks for the reply. I watched that vid, and a few others, a few times now. It just needs some small finer adjustments as it is not out by a huge amount. But i just wanted to know woukd those adjustments be going jn the right or wrong direction.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I have always found this webpage helpful in siteing a PU.
It is long gone off the internet but, I have re-created it here.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/pusiteing/

Darryl
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

that is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Your welcome.

I wish that website was still around, but the owner sold his forums to a "commercial company" then folded the website.

Darryl
Exp271

Post by Exp271 »

Pitty it is no longer around. Looks like it had some great info on it. Thanks very much.