Do you zero your rifles with or without the Bayonets?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum

Do you zero your rifles with bayonets affixed or not affixed?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:11 pm

Bayonets affixed
25%
Baynets NOT affixed
63%
Depends of the rifle (collectable vs shooter)
No votes
Don't care
13%

Total votes: 8

fchaus

Do you zero your rifles with or without the Bayonets?

Post by fchaus »

So I'm just curious as to how you all zero your rifles? We all know that the Mosin Nagant was zeroed from originally with the bayonet affixed but for my shooting I would prefer to have it zeroed without? How do you guys do it?
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Do you zero your rifles with or without the Bayonets?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have the sight tools, I zero the rifle without the bayonet. With the M44 I do not deploy the bayonet while shooting, and adjust the sight accordingly. I don't need bayonets at the range, and Mosin socket bayonets tend to be a tight fit making them a pain to deal with when casually plinking.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

Looks like the votes are in. Not many but its pretty much in line with my thoughts as well.
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

you are not in a battle setting....the soldiers had a different agenda....and nobody really cares how you zero your rifle.......................
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have never found it necessary to adjust the sights on my rifles. I don't think that I ever had one that shot worse than I do anyway. If I am shooting for precision, I don't use the Mosins. If I did decide to dial in one of the rifles, I would do it without the bayonet because I never carry bayonets to the range.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

fchaus wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:11 pm So I'm just curious as to how you all zero your rifles? We all know that the Mosin Nagant was zeroed from originally with the bayonet affixed but for my shooting I would prefer to have it zeroed without? How do you guys do it?
Each M44 is different. Some move the point of aim 3-4 inches depending on locked on/off. Your rifle is sighted one way or the other. Most of them were sighted for bayonet use, a soldier would have it locked on in combat. That's how all mine are sighted. The 91/30's, I never have put a bayonet on one.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I only zero my rifles with the bayonet on IF, I intend on doing a "charge" on the target! :chuckles:

Not saying I have "charged the target", but usually without the bayonet on or extended.

My range looks down on you if you extend a bayonet on their range....so....

Darryl
Some_Mook

Post by Some_Mook »

I cannot imagine any public range being open to having a bayonet affixed, but when I shoot in my own back yard...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.