Mosin Nagant eject issue - Possibly due to poor modification

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
Nightmare Armory

Mosin Nagant eject issue - Possibly due to poor modification

Post by Nightmare Armory »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and also to ownership of a Mosin Nagant.
I attached 3 photos with one far enough away to see the (3) mounting holes someone put into the barrel for a scope mount.
The other two are just zoomed-in shots to show what appears to be a small hole drilled through into the chamber area.
It was my first time at the range with the rifle after having disassembled, ported/polished the bolt assembly and checking the firing pin depth.
The first shot felt good but the spent shell didn't eject and the bolt was 'stuck'. I had to remove the 4 remaining live rounds from the bottom.
After that I had to hit the bolt lever extremely hard with my fist to get it to lever up and back. Once it was in the rearward position I had to pry the spent shell. I saw what looked like a small bubble on the outside of the casing. This made me decide not to shoot it again.
I took it home and removed the scope and the mounting bracket from the rifle. That's when I determined that whoever modified this rifle to adapt the scope had drilled through into the chamber. See photo #3 closeup of small pinhole through.
My question is What can I do to remedy this issue?
Thanks for your assistance and Happy New Year!
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin Nagant eject issue - Possibly due to poor modification

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, by the looks of it someone drilled out the welds on the old scope mount holes to reactivate a sniper that had been taken out of service. I can see the pits in the metal around the screw holes from the welds that were once there. Sloppy work, typical Bubba crap, either an individual, or a company doing many such rifles. Hole in the chamber, that's a new one for me, and to allow it to pass into a shooters hands like that. I am sure a professional gunsmith could do something, but the cost would be more than the rifle is worth at this point, and as Bubba has been at it that value isn't much. Put it back together, leave the spent round in the chamber so some future owner has a clue, and wall hanger it. I assume there is no holding the guy who sold it to you accountable? I know if someone sold me something like this I would be back, and not happy, this isn't just unprofessional work, it's a major safety issue.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Pretty much junk. When someone "re-snipered" it they went deeper than the original holes the soviets had drilled and ruined it. Totally unsafe now. Hope you can get your money back.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Any updates on this?
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.