Jungle Stock

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
fchaus

Jungle Stock

Post by fchaus »

Hello Everyone, New member here.
My first technical question on this Mosin Negant forum is going to be about an SKS, go figure. Anyway, I recently purchased a Norinco SKS. It was made in the /26\ factory with a 24 million S/N and a D between the S/N and the chinese markings after the factory mark. First, I have read many different ways to date the gun (add such and such to 1956 and whatnot). What is the most accurate way to tell when it was made and what does the "D" mean.

My other question is about the "Jungle Stock". When I originally saw the redish fiberglass-ish looking stock i just figured it was the Chinese being cheap and not using wood. So through the youtubes and other places have learned this is called a "jungle stock" and was often used in place on the wood to avoid rot. Other than that I can't find much, like when were they produced and were they only add ons? What was the deciding factor as to weather the rifle got a jungle stock or not.

It comes from a collection of a friends father who passed away and he amassed quite the collection and he had this rifle for quite some time. it appears to be unfired. I originally got it thinking hey its an SKS probably beat to hell. I'll just shoot it and enjoy it. but now seeing how perfect this rifle is makes me consider keeping it in its unfired condiction and springing for a more used "shooter"

More questions to come.
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
Craig :spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
steelbuttplate

Re: Jungle Stock

Post by steelbuttplate »

The Norinco short carbine para w/ jungle stock was sold new in the box at gunshows in the 80's. I think. These were a little later on, might have been $129 or so. An 1120 rod. case of yellow box Norinco was $109. Some of you ol Gomers tell me if that sounds right. SKS and Tokarev flowed like honey for a few years.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

The paratroopers had a 16.5 inch barrel, mine is 20 inch. So was it just one of the other commercial offerings? It obviuosly was not issued to a military unit. Was the jungle stock just something that the chinese just threw on some rifles to change things up? The other 2 unfired Norinco SKS's that the seller had both had wooden stocks.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The "Paratrooper" SKS was a civilian SKS. Originally made to get rid of some old SKS's they had. But when the old rifles were gone, they started making the entire thing from new parts.
I own one but I have never seen one with a "fiberglass" stock on it. The fiberglass stocks came on some other SKS (full length) and not on the "Paratrooper". I have no idea what a "jungle stock" is or where the term came from.

Paratroopers were like the M1 Garand "Tankers". Never made for the military or used by them.

Darryl
fchaus

Post by fchaus »

Right, This is what other stuff I have read states as well. Thats why I'm so curious about the stock. I curious if it came on the rifle from the factory or if it was added later. If it was added, why was it added to a rifle that was never fired or if it was very minimally. I used the term jungle stock because it is the only thing on the net and/or youtube I have found associated with the stock that I have. I know there is alot of mis-information ou there thats why I was hoping somebody here could shead some light to the mystery.

:spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

fchaus wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:39 am Right, This is what other stuff I have read states as well. Thats why I'm so curious about the stock. I curious if it came on the rifle from the factory or if it was added later. If it was added, why was it added to a rifle that was never fired or if it was very minimally. I used the term jungle stock because it is the only thing on the net and/or youtube I have found associated with the stock that I have. I know there is alot of mis-information ou there thats why I was hoping somebody here could shead some light to the mystery.

:spam2: :spam2: :spam2: :spam2:
Your talking about the same, brown fiberglass/or assumed to be rot proof jungle stock, all commercially made for retail I reckon.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"