Police Trade-In Mossberg 500

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Tula44

Police Trade-In Mossberg 500

Post by Tula44 »

Yesterday I was at Cabela's and they had several police trade-in Mossberg 500s out on the rack. All were in pretty good shape. I went in to see if the Remington 870 I saw the day before was still there but I didn't see it, no big deal because I am very happy with this Mossberg 500! The finish on mine is nice, a few minor scratches but that's to be expected with surplus. I disassembled the shotgun, gave it a cleaning but it honestly didn't need much done to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomaustin

Re: Police Trade-In Mossberg 500

Post by tomaustin »

nice get................price in line with the remington..?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice one, Mossberg's are simple and basic, they work. Maybe not as refined as a vintage Winchester 12, or Remington 870, but also half the cost or less. I have them in 12, 16, 20, 410, the 590 military, and spares, even one made for Sears. I wonder what the police decided to use if not Mossberg.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:33 pm Nice one, Mossberg's are simple and basic, they work. Maybe not as refined as a vintage Winchester 12, or Remington 870, but also half the cost or less. I have them in 12, 16, 20, 410, the 590 military, and spares, even one made for Sears. I wonder what the police decided to use if not Mossberg.
The ones that have not seen Antifa yet ALL have these...... :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

tomaustin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:31 pm nice get................price in line with the remington..?
Thank you! From what I've read I believe the Remington 870s are a little more in price than the Mossberg 500s.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:33 pm Nice one, Mossberg's are simple and basic, they work. Maybe not as refined as a vintage Winchester 12, or Remington 870, but also half the cost or less. I have them in 12, 16, 20, 410, the 590 military, and spares, even one made for Sears. I wonder what the police decided to use if not Mossberg.
I was happy to pick this one up. I know a lot of police trade-in shotguns the condition can be more used. This one was used but not too much. I'm really happy with it! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remington 870's tend to be two or three times the cost of a basic Mossberg 500. I used to pick up 500's for around 150-175 from people who bought them to get into hunting, then they found out that hunting was real work. Here it's shotgun, bow or black powder hunting only. Now I am sure the price is tripled as with any gun.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The other thing about the 500 is the plethora of accessories available for it that swap on and off easily. You can make it into a short cruiser, but not the shockwave with it's 14" barrel unless it was a factory made 18"-barrel cruiser to start with. Bird gun, or slug gun, large number of barrel and stock choices. Most of the extras are not expensive, another plus.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:hunter: pump :hunter: pump I've got a 500 I'm hanging onto, it's.a steel receiver like yours. Some on the Sears/ Walmart shotguns, maybe they are 500A ? have Alum. receivers and the stocks are kinda fruity looking.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:39 am :hunter: pump :hunter: pump I've got a 500 I'm hanging onto, it's.a steel receiver like yours. Some on the Sears/ Walmart shotguns, maybe they are 500A ? have Alum. receivers and the stocks are kinda fruity looking.
I'll be holding onto this one for sure! It's been a little difficult the last year trying to find certain guns so I'm happy to have picked this one up :thumbsup:
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The Mossberg 500 in .410 makes a great little chicken gun. :thumbsup:
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Sonny wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:33 am The Mossberg 500 in .410 makes a great little chicken gun. :thumbsup:
Looks like it does make a good chicken gun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:39 am :hunter: pump :hunter: pump I've got a 500 I'm hanging onto, it's.a steel receiver like yours. Some on the Sears/ Walmart shotguns, maybe they are 500A ? have Alum. receivers and the stocks are kinda fruity looking.
Since 1960 the 500 series Mossberg has used the aluminum receiver including US military spec guns. I have never seen or heard of any 500 with a steel receiver, and I have had them from the early 60's single transfer bar models to the more recent double bar ones, the cruiser, shockwave, and military model. That receiver was one of Mossbergs biggest selling points in a lightweight, but strong shotgun with easy takedown. The bolt carrier is steel.

The Sears Mossberg is just a regular 500 with the Sears name on it rather than Mossbergs, but otherwise it is just another 500, I have one of these Sears 500's, Walmart sells the regular Mossberg marked 500, no house brands.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:56 pm
Since 1960 the 500 series Mossberg has used the aluminum receiver including US military spec guns. I have never seen or heard of any 500 with a steel receiver, and I have had them from the early 60's single transfer bar models to the more recent double bar ones, the cruiser, shockwave, and military model. That receiver was one of Mossbergs biggest selling points in a lightweight, but strong shotgun with easy takedown. The bolt carrier is steel.

The Sears Mossberg is just a regular 500 with the Sears name on it rather than Mossbergs, but otherwise it is just another 500, I have one of these Sears 500's, Walmart sells the regular Mossberg marked 500, no house brands.
Mine has a 600,000 serial range, It's a blued steel receiver. I just stuck a magnet to it. The one above looks steel also. The aluminum ones you can tell at first glance they are painted black.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:49 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Mine has a 600,000 serial range, It's a blued steel receiver. I just stuck a magnet to it. The one above looks steel also. The aluminum ones you can tell at first glance they are painted black.
Are you sure we aren't talking about the 590a1 here? This is the one that according to Mossberg has a blued steel triggerguard and safety, and a blued finish is available. How they put a blued finish on an aluminum receiver wasn't explained, but apparently they do offer this along with numerous other finishes including stainless steel plating. I still find no reference to any steel receivers on a Mossberg pump gun, didn't look at the semi auto's but I think they are aluminum also. Mossberg themselves claim they don't exist, aluminum alloy receivers have always been their big selling point, nobody likes to hump a heavy shotgun around all day. A strong magnet will stick to my 500 also, that's due to all the insides being steel, some of it inset into the wall of the receiver.

Strip that gun down, easy enough to do with a Mossberg, weigh the stripped receiver, not that you would need to as the aluminum is considerably lighter than the steel. Could also be something in the finish that attracts a magnet, the secret of how a blued finish gets on aluminum.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice 500!!!!

What are they asking for those??? Might have to go get one.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Rongo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:55 am Nice 500!!!!

What are they asking for those??? Might have to go get one.
Thank you! It's in really nice shape!

Cabela's had them for $329.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Blued aluminum ? Magnet sticking to internal parts ? Yep, thats what it is. I'd always been told in gunshow conversations these were steel, but they are aluminum. Mine's a 3" 500A., corn cob pump. I sold an 870 I'd had for years but held onto ol Mossy. I learned something new yesterday too but I forget what it was. :bonk:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

All this Mossberging and I remembered I had a slugster barrel for mine, never used, so I put it on and tried it @ 30 yd. Left shot is .690 ball &buck. Middle and right are Federal slugs. Shoots betta than some of my carbines I've had. What does that ported barrel do ? Make em kick harder ? This kicks worse than anything I've got, with 2 3/4. No mo 3 fo me.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

That's a nice looking shotgun!