Any 7mm rem mag shooters here?

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
Sonny

Any 7mm rem mag shooters here?

Post by Sonny »

So just recently picked up a used but not abused Browning BLR 81 lightweight in 7mm rem mag.

I know each and every rifle prefers a certain type and weight of ammo but damn with the price and availability of ammo these days makes that's a tall order.

So far I've only shot Federal Power shocks 150 grain ammo and I'm only getting 3 inch groups. This is not good. :(

This rifle has a 1:9.5 rate of twist but that is over my head but figuired I should add this info.

So... would a heavier bullet like a 175 gr. give me tighter groups?
Sonny

Re: Any 7mm rem mag shooters here?

Post by Sonny »

Found a box of Federal 175gr ammo here in town and I answered my own question. Went from 3 inch groups with Federal 150gr to 3/4 inch groups with Federal 175gr ammo. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it does. :)

Still want to try some Remington and Winchester ammo but that has to wait until I drive to the big city. Will most likely go there next month to do some Christmas shopping. :thumbsup:

edited to add

That skinny barrel sure heats up quick and then the groups spread out some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

sonny, what range distance are you shooting....do you have several distances available...AND, just how steady is your position prior to firing...?
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

tomaustin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:34 pm sonny, what range distance are you shooting....do you have several distances available...AND, just how steady is your position prior to firing...?
Oh I have a good solid Predator gun rest and I also have a Caldwell leadsled but was told that it's easy to crack a rifle stock with those so I don't use it much anymore.
The BLR was used and it came with an old Bushnell Scope Chief 3x9-40 scope but I replaced it with a Vortex 4x12-40 Diamondback with BDC which seems to work pretty good.

We have a darn nice range for being a small isolated town. Two 100 yard ranges and that is what I was shooting at today. We also have a 200-300-400-500 and 580 yard ranges. The 580 yard range has a pipeline behind it so that's as far as we can shoot since we can not shoot across the pipeline right of way. But we have a lot of Federal (Crown) land where you can shoot as far as you can see. lol

We also have a pistol range, indoor and outdoor archery ranges, four trap houses but one is broken right now and a clubhouse. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.