The Rusty Gun , another one

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

The Rusty Gun , another one

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

OK, time for another one of these rust gun posts after I received this a few weeks ago. A friend of mine bought this at an estate auction, told me he had found one of those " old army rifles" I like, and got it for me cheap. Didn't know what kind, doesn't know how to take or send pictures..... Makes me wait a month anticipating what it might be. He thought it was hilariously funny when I saw the rifle, yes it is an " old army rifle" that needs a little TLC. This isn't the worst rusty gun I own, that honor still belongs to a dug up double barrel shotgun barrel and action, but it's still pretty bad, and has a broken bolt body. Swiss Vetterli 1869/71.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Rusty Gun , another one

Post by millman »

Poor old girl.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The Rusty Gun , another one

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Blame Bannerman's sales tactics. They sold these cheap after 1900 with 20, or 40 rounds of ammo without making it clear that there was no big supply of .41 Swiss imported with the rifles. No US manufacturer would produce it until Remington did in the 20's. People used up the ammo that came with the rifle then found out they couldn't get more. The rifles ended up on a wall someplace, in a closet, or tossed in the barn. I have six nice 69/71's with mint bores from lack of use, probably rifles sold after all the ammo was gone and were sold as decorators from the start. No one shot them so no black powder to rust them. I have a couple of the cut down ones Bannerman made, also pretty good bores, these would have been shot with the Remington made ammo. Farmer Bob tossed this rifle into a damp hole someplace, probably cursing Bannerman all the while for selling him a rifle and then running out of ammo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt