Bad News...

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
qz2026

Bad News...

Post by qz2026 »

I was shocked to see this video last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGRbRbirb2s&t=1469s

This may be the end of BP shooting in the US. I suppose that if I had known about this earlier I would have bought some more. But, as of today, no one has any including Graf's house powder. The panic buyers have bought it all up it seems. I don't shoot much BP anymore and still have a can each of FFg, FFFg and FFFFg... I should be ok but Holy Cow... What next????

And, really, who in their right minds would buy up the facility and begin producing Goex again considering the economic environment we are in now. Hope and pray I guess.
Sonny

Re: Bad News...

Post by Sonny »

Just checked my cabinet and I have one pound of Goex ffg and one pound of Yukon Gold fffg and our nearest Cabelas is out of stock.

Might be time to hit up the smaller shops to see if they have any.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Charcoal, Sulphur and saltpeter. Hmmm, come to think about it, that is what my steak last night tasted like.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I ordered 4 pounds of Olde Eynesford last week from Grafs. Gonna split it with my brother. It isn’t the end of black powder shooting in the US. It might be the end of US manufactured GOEX powder, there is still Swiss and German once the madness dies down. Someone just might buy the Goex company from Hogdon but at any rate there is also plenty of substitutes to choose from. Grafs sold out of black powder the next day after I ordered. I got my powder in about 5 days. I was amazed. I hope they get some more, not for me but for the sport. Black powder firearms are awesome and I partly have Junk Yard Dog to thank for throwing fuel on my interest in them [emoji3]Image
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Camp Minden Louisiana where the Hodgdon GOEX facility is located is south me and they've had quite a few problems there over the years. First of all it's a super fund site where they're disposing of old or outdated explosives. They've had some bad explosions there, one in 2012 I think, that caused the evacuation of the local town and a recent explosion in June at the black powder facility. I see the news reports on the local news about these from time to time. It's no wonder they have problems because there's literally tons of explosives stored out in the open on rows all over the place. This below is the letter Hodgdon sent out about this and the the other picture is some of the containers of explosive waiting to be disposed of.
Hodgdon Closure.jpg
Camp Minden.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have my stash, enough to continue shooting for my lifetime. Shame if Goex is gone, been using it for 40+ years. I wonder if the box's in that picture are full of black powder.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Goex out? Maybe. but how about the new manufacturers that have sprung up in the last ten years?
I see black powder coming out of Europe even.

End of black Powder?, they have been saying that for many years now. As long as I can remember.
Black Horn
Hogden
and Hogden's Pyrodex
Swiss (in my mind, the best)
Triple 7
Schuetzen (German)
Skirmish

It's my understanding that Goex will "probably" make it through.

But, there are dozens of others will to pick up the slack. I can buy you as much as you wish right now.

I have maybe 8 lb's myself. I need to get rid of some of it. It's a pretty big hazard having 8 lb's laying around! LOL (Well, not "laying around, but...)

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Only 8 pounds? Better not look in my powder magazine :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

State law here your only allowed to have 25 pound at a time in your possession. My last big delivery the hazardous shipping was crazy expensive but I paid up. Couple days later it rolls in on the local UPS truck just like everything else. Ya, I was a bit pissed.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:27 pm Only 8 pounds? Better not look in my powder magazine :twisted:
Oh, I've had a lot more then that on hand. I just haven't bought any lately. I'm letting it go down then it's easier the more you buy at one time.

Out local fire Dept don't like you to keep a lot of powder. If they know you have it (like in the garage), they won't go anywhere near that area. They'll let it burn. But, I'd rather have that happen then hurt anyone, especially a Fireman.

I would like to remind everyone that you should keep your powder dry, cool and in a place where no flame can get to it. I keep mine in a black powder safe (which is easy to build). Idea is to contain the explosion upward with a lid that is not secured down and easy pushed off by the blast. This make the explosion go upward rather then sideways. I've seen other plans that would work also. But if you have a lot, then a safe is a good idea.

Darryl