Need help identifying my Finnish m91!!! Please help!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SteveEndureFort

Need help identifying my Finnish m91!!! Please help!

Post by SteveEndureFort »

Hey guys I have had this rifle for a while and everytime I try and research this rifle I get frustrated and give up. What I do know is that the receiver and is a 1904 Izhevsk, the bolt is also Izhevsk, the magazine is Tula and at some point the Finns got a hold of it and made it gorgeous but stripped most of it's identity. It has NO makers marks or date codes on the barrel shank. It looks like the barrel has a 2 digit number (75) that matches (75) on the side of the bolt but nothing else. Ive never seen a Finnish m91 from 1975 so it probably isn't that. The barrel is counter bored and not stepped. Also not sleeved. Could you guys help me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need help identifying my Finnish m91!!! Please help!

Post by Rongo »

:alien:

Welcome to the forum!!!!

First off... Nice Mosin. It's not uncommon for Finn rifles to have odd stampings or lack of stampings. they were mainly cobbling parts together to make a functional weapon & had little concern with having pretty crest's on the barrel. The stamping on the underside of the barrel is interesting.... I feel if I should know it's meaning but can't recall. It's always possible the barrel isn't original to the receiver... But with it being counterbored I would guess it is original & the barrel was just scrubbed at some point.
I don't see an import stamp on the receiver.... Is there a faint import mark near the Muzzle?
I've found that a lot of what we see in stampings (Or lack thereof) in the Mosin Nagant rifles are a mystery & probably always will be. That's what makes it fun in collecting them, & the Finn versions are by far the cream of the crop.

Either way... You have a fine Finn M91 that you don't see everyday. Enjoy!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SteveEndureFort

Post by SteveEndureFort »

Thanks Rongo for your reply!

As an update, it was hard to discern whether the barrel was sleeved originally but I believe it has. Also I haven't found any import marks at all on this rifle. A few other people on different forums are convinced this is an unmarked P series rifle. (perhaps before they started marking them). At this point im not even sure what I have here.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have one like it. I have not found out very much about it in the 14 years I have had it.

https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/ ... =48&t=7030
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis