Cracked Front Sight Base?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rustynuts

Cracked Front Sight Base?

Post by Rustynuts »

My front sight base cracked at the dovetail. Pretty common failure I see due to height of the hooded front sight. Any bump torques it off. I'd like to try soldering on a new one, but seems you can't find these online easily! Any ideas? Don't even see full scrapped barrels from replacements out there.
willyj73

Re: Cracked Front Sight Base?

Post by willyj73 »

I didn't have much luck finding one using Google.

Not sure if you could solder the old one on, using the witness marks on the front sight and (what's left of the base) to align the front sight.

There has to be a cut off barrel end floating around for sale somewhere.
Mosin Fanboy
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

How hard would it be to make a new one from scratch.......I spent 1/2 hour doing a search and like willj73 I had no luck!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If I'm not mistaken, the site base is integral to the barrel, and not soldered on.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:43 pm If I'm not mistaken, the site base is integral to the barrel, and not soldered on.
Do you think it could be repaired by welding....?

Didn't know if it was or not, can't get to my guns right now to check. My son and his wife are sleeping in the spare room where the guns are until tomorrow, when they head back to SC.....!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

ffuries wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:11 pm
millman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:43 pm If I'm not mistaken, the site base is integral to the barrel, and not soldered on.
Do you think it could be repaired by welding....?

Didn't know if it was or not, can't get to my guns right now to check. My son and his wife are sleeping in the spare room where the guns are until tomorrow, when they head back to SC.....!
Yep, find a good welder that can still see what he's doing, it should be fixable. I would try it with a 0xy acetylene weld.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"