Aging sucks......

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

Aging sucks......

Post by ffuries »

Tuesday morning as I was lifting my leg to put my pants on and I felt fire/pain shooting down my right leg. Somehow I managed to pinch my sciatic nerve.

I think no problem, I'm scheduled to start injections on my right side on Wednesday, so suffer for a day, and I'll be better after the injections. Wake up Wednesday morning and I'm sick to my stomach (Not keeping food down), had to reschedule my injections.

I can barely walk a straight line right now, let alone stand up straight. Can't get up from a sitting or laying position without assistance. I'm taking showers so hot, that I look like a cooked lobster when I come out, followed by stretching to try and unpinch it, with no luck. Muscle relaxer and pain meds help, but make me tired, it's sad I slept 19 hours in a 24 hour period. Hopefully this resolves itself soon, as my new date for starting my injections isn't until the 28th of the month now.

Can't live this way, being in pain and doped up, until then.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Aging sucks......

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only thing worse than aging is to abruptly stop aging. Sciatica hits me at unexpected moments for years, mostly when I am trying to sleep, and of course, that is goodbye to sleep. I hope it returns to normal soon.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

After having my two Covid shots I started to pass out. Was hospitalized and all the tests they ran showed nothing. Continue to get worse. My drivers license has been suspended and I need a walker to get around. Had more tests and no answers.
Tula44

Post by Tula44 »

Sorry to hear you're going through that, that type of pain really sucks. I had a herniated disc that was hitting my sciatica nerve. I had to have surgery to get it worked out and they removed a knuckle size piece of my disc.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Tula44 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 pm Sorry to hear you're going through that, that type of pain really sucks. I had a herniated disc that was hitting my sciatica nerve. I had to have surgery to get it worked out and they removed a knuckle size piece of my disc.
A few years back I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease (Compressed and Herniated Discs and Bone Spurs). Back in Oct 2019 I had a SI Joint Fusion done on my right side, and have pretty much been pain free on the right since. Until the other day.......Here we are 5 days later and it's still kicking my ass....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

The older I get

The better I used to be.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I get it. I keep thinking if I knew then how now would be, I might have taken better care of myself.
But I doubt it. Hope the hurt quits.
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

jimpierce7 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:24 am I get it. I keep thinking if I knew then how now would be, I might have taken better care of myself.
If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Every day I wake up in the morning leaves me fuckin amazed, then it's just a matter of avoiding anything that might get me during the day. Don't let your guard down once you make it home, it's not over, stair accidents, slick floor accidents, kitchen mishaps, and the most dangerous room in the house, the bathroom. Would I have taken better care of myself if I knew I would last past the 18-49 demographic? Probably not, I had expected to be vaporized by The Bomb long before now, it's a constant source of amazement that it hasn't happened yet. I used to get worked up about all sorts of shit, nice blood pressure spikes promising a heart attack, then I learned to stop giving a fuck about pretty much everything. That tacked some years onto my life, or so it seems as I am still here. There is a world wide pandemic, fuck it, I closed the gate and am waiting it out. Idiots in government? So what, nothing new, price hikes, so I pay more, fuck that too. 85% of the US population stupider than a box of rocks ( and I am being kind ) they can go fuck themselves too. Diabetes, broken foot, back problems, arthritis, fuck all of that, could always be worse, rectal cancer, or ball cancer, yea, that would be worse so I am not complaining. Compared to some of you guys here I have no fuckin problems at all, just the little taste of sciatica I have gives me a clear idea of how much that shit hurts when it really gets going. Yep, could always be worse, that's the one absolute given in life, bad shit can always get worse. Carnivorous aliens invasion, zombies, that big fucker in Wyoming erupts, asteroid hits the planet, bears, massive solar flare, or EMP, some asshole fucks up DNA experiment and every baby born looks, sounds, and acts like Pee-Wee Herman.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

jimpierce7 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:24 am I get it. I keep thinking if I knew then how now would be, I might have taken better care of myself.
If I had known back then, what I know now, I wouldn't have done the things I'm paying for now, back then.....

:vconfused:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Bears ? Apocolyptic bears ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am just happy that I lived to be this old. The aches and pains of aging are a sign that I am still alive.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well my sciatica is kicking my butt bad, I'm still having issues 15 days after it flared up.

Saw my Neurologist today, he ordered a new CT Scan, as I'm not only having lumbar issues, but also my right arm goes numb and it feels like electricity is running through it a times......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Man, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. My late wife had issues with this and there were times I would get a call from her while she was working telling me to come get her. She is was an ICU Nurse and the quacks she had to deal with were less than useless. FUCKING oxygen thieves. Her coworkers (nurses) helped her more than any damned doctor.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

an ICU nurse must be one of the toughest jobs in the world....
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 am an ICU nurse must be one of the toughest jobs in the world....
ICU nurses are a breed of their own. My nurse in CV-ICU was a riot. Cute young little blonde thing that walked into my room and introduced herself as "Georgiana" and then went "Hmm, just the way I love my men, naked and tied to the bed!"

Now mind you, I had just had a Widow Maker heart attack, with two stents placed after an Angioplasty. I had coded/flat lined on them 7 times before I made it to the Cathlab. Had become combative 4 times, resulting in me being sedated 4 times prior to the Cathlab, after 4th incident they first tied to the bed with sheets, then strapped me to the bed with leather restraints. When she came on shift just after I came out from under the Anesthesia and I still had restraints keeping me from getting out of bed, until the groin wound (Femoral Artery) had 8 hours to heal/seal.

And now I had this cute thing being flirty with me....... :big shock:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Yeah, but when a patient checks out, you (the nurse) have to do paper work and don't have to argue with idiotic doctors and demanding family members anymore. Sounds cold but my wife was and both my kids are ICU nurses. Families that can't understand why Dad can't have 5 visitors at a time are such joy to deal with.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well the injections helped with my back, but my right knee is killing me, and my right arm still gets these little electrical feeling pulses. Don't know if it's just the arthritis or more, but my knee hurts like hell. Never had it hurt like this, so it leaves me wondering and confused.

I'll just have to wait for the CT Scan and then the results......Been waiting for the CT place to call me and set up a date for the scan. I'll give them a call Monday and see what's up!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

how many different meds do you take...?

the interaction of meds can create side-effects and vary from one person to the next.....there are some internet searches which address these conflicting meds and the probable result of the use of that combination.....with your med history, you are considered a professional pill/meds taker.... you need a "Venn diagram" , which is an illustration that uses circles to show the relationships among things or finite groups of things.

You sure have had a ton of bad jobs in your life......
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:08 pm how many different meds do you take...?

the interaction of meds can create side-effects and vary from one person to the next.....there are some internet searches which address these conflicting meds and the probable result of the use of that combination.....with your med history, you are considered a professional pill/meds taker.... you need a "Venn diagram" , which is an illustration that uses circles to show the relationships among things or finite groups of things.

You sure have had a ton of bad jobs in your life......
One job only the Air Force, but it took a toll on my body.

We carried weight around by ourselves that they now say takes 2 to 3 people to move. We worked with chemicals without safety equipment, which now require it. We used our knees to slam and lock survival kits closed, now they use a mallet. So it took a big toll on the body.......But I loved every minute I served and would do it again.

As for meds I'll have to count them but let's see off the top of my head. All these are prescribed by my doctors, to include the supplements.

2 meds for allergies and sinus issues.
3 meds for my back and knee issues.
7 meds for my cardiac and related issues.
4 supplements due to deficiencies that show up in my blood work.

Plus a few MMs to reward myself for being a good boy and taking my meds......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member