How did you sneak your second gun safe into the house?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MadisonAV

How did you sneak your second gun safe into the house?

Post by MadisonAV »

It's pretty easy to sneak in a new Mosin. I have them out all the time so the new ones sort of blend in.

But I'm up to 18 with a gun safe capacity of 16. Was in Farm and Fleet over the weekend and they had an identical gun safe on sale. I pick it up today. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to explain this madness. Help!!!

Madison
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: How did you sneak your second gun safe into the house?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never sneaked anything in the house in my life, if you are doing that even before saying I Do then you are in for a bumpy ride. This is who I am, this is what I do, these are the things I collect, I don't question what you like, don't do it to me and all will be well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

i joke about this a lot , cause my first wife had the "patrol and control " attitude , so i give her the walking papers, jeez you have kids with them and they think they own you or something LOL , my second wife thinks a lot like myself , i don't bother her about what she wants to do and she doesn't bother me about mine .. :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

Junk Yard,

You have a pretty good memory, remembering I'm getting married this summer. It was good to hear from you and I appreciate your response.

Actually she knows the gun safe is coming and she sees most of the Mosins that come into the house. The post was designed to be a bit humerous and put a common issue on the table for discussion. When I told her I needed a second gun safe, her eyebrows went up a bit as she hadn't kept count on how many I had accumulated.

When my Finns arrive, I don't stick them in her face. But we talk about many of them and the story they tell. For example, a M27 showed up last week with a hickory stock. Hickory trees are not native to Finland, so we spent some time talking about how that happened, and how cool it was to discover that unanticipated feature on a Mosin purchase and trace it down with some research. We also had a discussion about how post-war M-39s ended up with wartime stocks, the subject of my last post.

What I was most interested in is responses to the last question. "I'm looking for some suggestions on how to explain this madness." It has turned into an obsession. Fortunately she's a sewer and has stacks and stacks of fabrics, along with a bunch of sewing machines so she understands obsessions. I get to hear all about the cool fabrics she has discovered and how she plans to use them. She's gotten into vintage fabrics lately and some are a bit pricey.

A statement like' "This is who I am, this is what I do, these are the things I collect, I don't question what you like, don't do it to me ..." isn't going to fly very well with her. The way I approach this with her has to be a tad more subtle. This is not an uncommon problem. I really want to hear how other members have handled it. Your approach is noted and thank you for offering it.

Madison
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I do not get any hassles from my Wife. First off, if the money ain't there, I do not spend it, I go with out. 2nd, when money has been tight, I have sold off my collection not once, but twice, to be sure bills and financial responsibilities are taken care of. Family first and before myself. 21 years of a great marrige to a women who is my best friend and companion in all things sort of speaks for itself.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Ban-One

Post by Ban-One »

Take the guts out of the safe, strip out the lining...you can fit a couple of more rifles in there easy...depending on the safe. :lol:

Or...build a gun cabinet out in the garage...then its easy to sneak things in and out.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I am sitting at 6 safes right now and really have room for more. I have been married twice, I call them my first wife and my last wife period! I have no intention or need to complicate my life anymore with another wife, guns, music, motorcycles, racing, and my new Fat Cat Tiger are more than enough for me. Two Fat Cats living in a house do not need a Kitty because he is fixed and I frankly am getting too old to really care anymore. I have visitors and they know to leave when the time is right or they don't get in in the first place.

I am glad you recognize the responsibility to store your guns safely and that your wife to be can accept that so hence the new safe. Many couples and individuals do not store safely and responsibly and give many gun owners bad names. I caution you from experience attitudes greatly change when the ring is on the finger and the paperwork is signed and don't even dare to tell me this is different or you are lying to yourself. Women weren't meant to be understood they were meant to be worshiped and frankly cow-towed to and if that is your bag more power to you. Many men need the company and guidance of a good women to reach goals and success and so be it. I have no troubles with that and have two great kids growing into their worlds with college degrees and lives of their own as a result of a good women and Mother. Many of the things we shared together are still cherished but at this point in life I am not ready for guidance and a Honey-Do list. It is my time now and I have been taking good care in enjoying it, even if it is alone at times. If I had a women in this house now it would likely drive me crazy as me and the other Fat Cat have our ways about us. We all live our own lives, be it married or single, so while you may share your life with someone you are still an individual like it or not. If it works for you more power to you and your significant other but it isn't for all of us just keep that in mind. Bill :wink:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Tell her it's for all the jewelry you're going to buy her. :lol: :D
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I never had a problem with the 2nd, 5th, or 10th. It is 30 something that seems to be a problem! Yow
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Paint it loke a large "spanish" chest of drawers, then sneak it in the back door!

It didn't work for me, but maybe you'll have better luck with it :lol:

I gave up on safes. I have a very secure room now. The best part is if I fill it up, I'm in big trouble. :wink:

Dolk
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

dolk wrote:Paint it loke a large "spanish" chest of drawers, then sneak it in the back door!

It didn't work for me, but maybe you'll have better luck with it :lol:

I gave up on safes. I have a very secure room now. The best part is if I fill it up, I'm in big trouble. :wink:

Dolk
We could probably do some great cartoon sequences on Mosin addicts attempting to sneak gun safes into their house. I like the painted chest idea. :lol: :lol: But my lady would see that coming from a mile away. I'd hear about it for the rest of my life. I'd rather nip it in the bud at the beginning and pay whatever price there is to pay now, which is why I asked for input from others on how they have handled this issue.

I have a place for a secure room down in the area of the under-construction man cave. But they are hard to justify when you only have 18 Mosins. That is unless you are spending $4,000 per Mosin as is mentioned in another thread. Yikes !! But the secure room is in the plan. Hee Hee Hee!

Madison
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The sneak thing never works. Women have built-in radar, and lie detectors.

I am working on my 41 year of marriage, and we have been through good times and bad times. It is really simple, if there is disposable money for toys, my wife doesn't begrudge them, and if she wants toys the same rule applies. If there is not money for toys, I try to find some, or I do without. Hiding stuff is not what good, long-term relationships are built on.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I'm looking at installing a garage hidden gun vault like in The Big Hit, or maybe have a set up like in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. :biggrin:
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

HONEY! Guess what?! I won a free gun safe in a contest at Cabela's! Can you believe it?! Ha ha, I am so surprised! The only thing I have to do to complete my contest obligations is to talk about it a whole bunch on the forum and, oh yeah, I have to buy some more guns, you know, so it gets used!!"

"What's that honey? Oh, why yes, I paid the cable bill :? "
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Wheel it directly past her line of vision during an update of the Desperate Housewives trial.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

My son and I decided to do the “sneak the gun cabinet into the house” caper tonight. I left work early and was at Farm and Fleet by 4:00 to pick up the safe. By 4:30 I had my truck backed into the garage with the tailgate close to the garage entrance to the house. My son and I wrestled that puppy out of the truck and put it on a throw carpet in the back hall. I told my son, I needed to move the truck so she could get her car into the garage.

When the truck was parked, he and I slid the gun safe in its cardboard box down the hall to where the back hall meets the main hall. At that point we heard her car pull into the garage. My son gets this panic stricken look on his face and bails on me, scurrying down the basement steps, leaving me to face her alone. :o :o

I figured, it’s just a cardboard box. She’s not going to even notice it when she comes through the garage entrance. I headed toward the bedroom.

I pressed my ear against the inside of the bedroom door. Click, click, click came her heels down the hallway. Then the clicking stopped … and silence. Then I heard a few words come out of her mouth that if repeated in this thread would probably get it locked. BUSTED !! :big shock: :big shock:

The clicking of the heels resumed, heading for my hiding spot in the bedroom. When she opened the bedroom door, she had this smile on her face, like the cat that is about to eat the canary.

“Honey?”

“Yes dear.”

“Remember when I was working on my wedding dress last night?” Literally translated, that is a reminder that she is saving us a lot of money by making her own wedding dress.

“Yes dear.”

“My serger broke.” For those of you that are not familiar with sergers, they are sewing machines used for seaming that cut the fabric as they seam.

“Did you take it in to get it fixed dear?”

“No dear, It is old and I think it is broken for good.”

“That’s too bad. How much does a new serger cost.”

She gets this glint in her eye and says, “The Bernina I’m looking at costs $800. You are going to buy it for me, aren’t you dear.”

I did a quick calculation in my head. “Let’s see, $400 for a gun safe versus $800 for a serger. Seems like a fair deal to me.” I then uttered the two words that any well trained man has been taught to say to his significant other, “yes dear.”

Things are cool at my house tonight. How are they at yours?
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Sounds to me like another gun safe is in the works, considering that bargain price for a serger! :chuckles:

My house is great, I am still grinning from ear to ear over how well my MO "sniper" performed yesterday at the range, and that makes the Missus happy! :wink:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Dragunov sniper 777

Post by Dragunov sniper 777 »

LOL :chuckles: :thumbsup:
i am so poor i can only afford mustard and biscuits three times a week ..
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I'm on my fourth safe and need another, hopefully once I get the house done, I can finish out the room in the basement for "storage" and get rid of the two smaller safes. She doesn't say much about my hobby(except no auction bidding allowed by me). I do get asked how many is enough sometimes. :roll: but, she is also known to heat up a barrel from time to time. I got lucky, she was hardcore antigun when we married 16yrs ago, now she has 3 rifles, 2 handguns and a CCW. I can at least honestly say we ruined each other, but at least for the better :lol: I actually learned how to put the seat down, but it took a while :chuckles:

$800 for a sewing machine ain't all that bad, mine bought a $8000 Baby Lock embroidery machine :big shock: about 2 years ago, this thing hooks to a PC and embroiders anything, sucker sounds almost like an AK when running full tilt. I can't complain much, she uses it for her business, so at least it's made us money.

MadisonAV, I wish you and your future wife the best of luck in the many great years to come :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
ditchtiger

Post by ditchtiger »

Paint it white and put a refrigerator handle on it.