Gasoline panic hits home

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

Gasoline panic hits home

Post by SA1911a1 »

Our one caution light town had 100 cars lined up to get gasoline. My son just went through Tallahassee and stations are closed, out of gas and where gas is, traffic is lined out onto the streets.

What is scary is this is just a tiny bit of disruption that could take place in our computer driven world. WWIII may be fought by hackers sitting keyboards.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Gasoline panic hits home

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 pm Our one caution light town had 100 cars lined up to get gasoline. My son just went through Tallahassee and stations are closed, out of gas and where gas is, traffic is lined out onto the streets.

What is scary is this is just a tiny bit of disruption that could take place in our computer driven world. WWIII may be fought by hackers sitting keyboards.
You want to fuck up America? Just turn off the power, and our enemies know this. Know any scrap yard owners? We always have wrecks with gas in the tanks, I haven't bought gas in 35 years, it's still .88 a gallon, right?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

No issues in Wisconsin... But I keep tanks full & spare gas so there is that if it gets bad here.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
CavemanSteve

Post by CavemanSteve »

I'm in west palm beach for vacation and we're having a hard time finding anything to get home. Planning on leaving Friday morning, but maybe not.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I just heard from Palm Coast, same thing, no gas except hi test, and that is quickly running out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

This is nothing less than the Russians flexing their muscles. At the least, it's a test drive of their ability to infiltrate our infrastructure controls. If they can get into the controls of an oil pipeline, they stand a good chance of getting into the controls and say, turn off the water to NYC or do other nefarious things. Our IT folks have been warning that we need to harden our control system protections-maybe this will scare people enough to act.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Well apparently Colonial Pipeline paid a ranson of 5 million. Which in itself is a double edged sword.

A) It will enable the culprits to do it again for a large payout.
B) Shows some companies will reward the culprits with money.

We need to find a way to fix the system to prevent it from happening again, if not we'll continue to reward these ass hats for their illegal activities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... -says.html
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would like to see the culprits hunted down and dealt a little Israeli justice. Of course if they are doing it from military computers in Moscow, then it becomes a sticky wicket indeed. Apparently somebody's hackers are better than our defenders, it is a dangerous national security threat. More of a real security threat than the missiles on Cuba in '62.....We may well need a Manhattan Project for computer hackers here.

The government should outlaw paying of ransom for hacks, until they do, there is no incentive for the players to stop. Paying the 5M just excites other bad players. Perhaps the government should also fine companies who get hacked so that they will invest in better security. For five million bucks I would hack my mama's computer.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

SA1911a1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:47 pm I would like to see the culprits hunted down and dealt a little Israeli justice. Of course if they are doing it from military computers in Moscow, then it becomes a sticky wicket indeed. Apparently somebody's hackers are better than our defenders, it is a dangerous national security threat. More of a real security threat than the missiles on Cuba in '62.....We may well need a Manhattan Project for computer hackers here.

The government should outlaw paying of ransom for hacks, until they do, there is no incentive for the players to stop. Paying the 5M just excites other bad players. Perhaps the government should also fine companies who get hacked so that they will invest in better security. For five million bucks I would hack my mama's computer.
While it would be nice to stop companies paying ransom, that’s probably not going to happen. Primary reason is that the number one targets are hospitals and medical providers. If they can’t quickly access their electronic patient charts, people can die. In their case, the best option is pay up and then improve their security. That’s what also makes them attractive targets.

Word is that the group that hacked Colonial Pipeline was a Russian criminal group. Russia probably views their criminal hackers as an asset. Putin has no incentive to stop them.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

What we need to do is ....
Do a much better job of protecting our infrastructure from Hackers and virus'. It's not that hard!

These business need to decide ... Do they really need to be ONLINE? If not, then get the Hell offline.
That is 99% of the way these idiots get to you.

If they have to be online,Than they should be required by law to have enough security to keep these idiots out.
It's not that hard but, there is a cost money wise and that is what stops these business'. They don't want to pay this cost, so they take stupid chances. The government needs to ID these business' and force them to protect their assets.

Honestly, it's not that hard but it is a constant battle to keep them out.I know, I did this for the company I worked with for 24 years. Paying a "ransom is a red flag to me that they did a poor job of doing "backups". We had so many backups that if they did get through to us, we could just delete everything and reboot to a fresh copy of the backup and you could be back up again. Yes, it would have taken maybe 2 hours to do that, but that would be much better then paying a ransom or being offline for days on end. If I hade done this at work, I would have been fired. That needs to happen.

Paying a ransom:
This is a huge mistake. Because most of these ransomware includes a "backdoor" built into it. If you pay the ransom, there is no guarantee that they will not use that back door and do it to you again. Your only recourse if you pay ransom is to quickly try to ID the back door and remove it. It's really not very easy. And, there could be multiple back doors. So, where do they stand now. At best, they are back up BUT ....

Paying ransom is not something you should have to be doing .... EVER.

Problem is, you have some "old school" business men that still can't see the value of a proper IT department, and pay for it. If there is a possibility of impacting the public like this, then they should be "required" to do it. I hate forcing business to do things, but sometime it is necessary.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:26 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:47 pm I would like to see the culprits hunted down and dealt a little Israeli justice. Of course if they are doing it from military computers in Moscow, then it becomes a sticky wicket indeed. Apparently somebody's hackers are better than our defenders, it is a dangerous national security threat. More of a real security threat than the missiles on Cuba in '62.....We may well need a Manhattan Project for computer hackers here.

While it would be nice to stop companies paying ransom, that’s probably not going to happen. Primary reason is that the number one targets are hospitals and medical providers. If they can’t quickly access their electronic patient charts, people can die. In their case, the best option is pay up and then improve their security. That’s what also makes them attractive targets.

Word is that the group that hacked Colonial Pipeline was a Russian criminal group. Russia probably views their criminal hackers as an asset. Putin has no incentive to stop them.
I think companies that have "Data Breaches" should be fined by the government. Can't tell you how many times I've received letters from the VA, OPM, etc saying your personal information was part of a data breach. These are government agencies, can't they get their act together.....?
Last edited by ffuries on Sun May 16, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

HA, HA, HA ...... I'm here in California where we have tons of gasoline available. (But you just can't afford it)

It is at $3.70 a gallon for the cheapest! Usually around $4.00 typically. And it's coming into summer. I suspect it may hit $5 a gallon?
I may have to take out a loan to go to the bank to take out a loan!

What I hate is, .... some of the States around us get their gasoline from California because they don't have refineries in their State. They typically sell their gasoline for 50 cents to a $1 a gallon less then what we pay.

That is our Governor Newsome is doing to force us to Electric cars that are supposed to be "cleaner.
But they are not when you consider they have to get electricity from somewhere. And, that electricity is produced by Natural Gas which he is trying to replace with a much higher costing Wind power and Solar. And, what happens when we have cloudy days and/or no wind, yeah, that right, No power = no driving.
Prices will go up and be tied to the weather? We saw what happened to Texas this last Winter. Now Now he is talking nuclear power plants. Holly $hit! These are the same guys that fought nuclear a few years back. What happened? I'll tell you, they did nothing and California has not built a power plant in 20 years or more. Not nuclear, natural gas, solar, or coal. Nothing, and you wonder why we are running out of electricity here in Calif. I can tell you why. Oh, and they did make some wind farms which are standing still because they say it is too cost prohibitive to run them maintenance wise. So, we sometime sit in the dark.

Bye bye governor. Don't let the door hit you in the A$$ on the way out.
Now forced to think about a "transvestite" to take over. May be a better choice then N.

BUT, we have Gas! (I can sell you some at $10 a gallon including shipping! Can you ship gasoline UPS? LOL)

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Darryl wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:04 pm HA, HA, HA ...... I'm here in California where we have tons of gasoline available. (But you just can't afford it)

It is at $3.70 a gallon for the cheapest! Usually around $4.00 typically. And it's coming into summer. I suspect it may hit $5 a gallon?
I may have to take out a loan to go to the bank to take out a loan!

What I hate is, .... some of the States around us get their gasoline from California because they don't have refineries in their State. They typically sell their gasoline for 50 cents to a $1 a gallon less then what we pay.

That is our Governor Newsome is doing to force us to Electric cars that are supposed to be "cleaner.
But they are not when you consider they have to get electricity from somewhere. And, that electricity is produced by Natural Gas which he is trying to replace with a much higher costing Wind power and Solar. And, what happens when we have cloudy days and/or no wind, yeah, that right, No power = no driving.
Prices will go up and be tied to the weather? We saw what happened to Texas this last Winter. Now Now he is talking nuclear power plants. Holly $hit! These are the same guys that fought nuclear a few years back. What happened? I'll tell you, they did nothing and California has not built a power plant in 20 years or more. Not nuclear, natural gas, solar, or coal. Nothing, and you wonder why we are running out of electricity here in Calif. I can tell you why. Oh, and they did make some wind farms which are standing still because they say it is too cost prohibitive to run them maintenance wise. So, we sometime sit in the dark.

Bye bye governor. Don't let the door hit you in the A$$ on the way out.
Now forced to think about a "transvestite" to take over. May be a better choice then N.

BUT, we have Gas! (I can sell you some at $10 a gallon including shipping! Can you ship gasoline UPS? LOL)

Darryl
A couple days ago our gas jumped .73 cents or so in one day and was just under the $3.00 mark. I told the family if this keeps up my fat ass will be walking more.......Which makes me wonder if my doctors are in on this, seeing that they keep telling me to walk more......Hmmm?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ffuries wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:33 pm A couple days ago our gas jumped .73 cents or so in one day and was just under the $3.00 mark. I told the family if this keeps up my fat ass will be walking more.......Which makes me wonder if my doctors are in on this, seeing that they keep telling me to walk more......Hmmm?
Yeah, I went to Germany a few years back and went into a German Bakery. I asked about the eclairs, and was told NO, your doctor won't let you eat those. First thing I thought was, how did my Dr know I was going to that bakery. But he did! :chuckles:

Hey, it's not our gas prices out here in California that I'm concerned with. I bought my house 21 yerars ago for $250,000. It is now worth 1.1 Million. Are you kidding me. Now I know why all the neighbors around me are all old farts like me! Young people can't afford it not to mention the gas prices.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Darryl wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:47 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:33 pm A couple days ago our gas jumped .73 cents or so in one day and was just under the $3.00 mark. I told the family if this keeps up my fat ass will be walking more.......Which makes me wonder if my doctors are in on this, seeing that they keep telling me to walk more......Hmmm?
Yeah, I went to Germany a few years back and went into a German Bakery. I asked about the eclairs, and was told NO, your doctor won't let you eat those. First thing I thought was, how did my Dr know I was going to that bakery. But he did! :chuckles:

Hey, it's not our gas prices out here in California that I'm concerned with. I bought my house 21 yerars ago for $250,000. It is now worth 1.1 Million. Are you kidding me. Now I know why all the neighbors around me are all old farts like me! Young people can't afford it not to mention the gas prices.

Darryl
Damn, I hate to think of the property taxes on that.

Germany, what do I remember.....? Going to the Gasthaus for lunch every weekday and having a few beers with lunch, before heading back to class. Chasing and catching Cheerleaders! Concerts, October Fest, Wine Fests, Fasching, Wursts, Frauleins, the Beer Frauleins.......

It's amazing I was even fit enough to make it into the Air Force after 3 years of High School in Germany, then 3 years after I joined, the Air Force sends me back for 4 years.....
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ffuries wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm Damn, I hate to think of the property taxes on that.
It's worse then you think. It's "property tax in California".

We pay around $500 a month (or more) for property tax alone.
One more reason they are fleeing Calif.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Darryl wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:22 pm
ffuries wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm Damn, I hate to think of the property taxes on that.
It's worse then you think. It's "property tax in California".

We pay around $500 a month (or more) for property tax alone.
One more reason they are fleeing Calif.

Darryl
Not near as bad as I would have thought. When we were paying property tax in Florida it was around $500.00 a year for a house we paid $65,000.00 for in Feb 1993, the house is now appraised at around $230,000.00. But being a 100% Disabled Veteran, I'm exempt from paying property tax now.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

and Mike, you would gladly pay those taxes if your health issues disappeared......I have 2 close friends here in my neighborhood---both legally disabled---who says they are happy to get the benefits on which they live, but would trade for a good job and health in a heartbeat..
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:57 pm and Mike, you would gladly pay those taxes if your health issues disappeared......I have 2 close friends here in my neighborhood---both legally disabled---who says they are happy to get the benefits on which they live, but would trade for a good job and health in a heartbeat..
Damn skippy.......I'd give anything to have my health back. I wasn't due to retire until 2019 on the military side (Would have gave 33 years of military service), would have gone from an ART slot (Air Reserve Technician) to a straight Civil Service slot until I hit mandatory retirement age under Civil Service, so I would still be working on the Civil Service side for a few more years.

I would have had many more deployments under my belt and would have gladly done them. But such is the hand I dealt in the game of life......So I collect guns to keep my sanity now!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:44 pm Our one caution light town had 100 cars lined up to get gasoline. My son just went through Tallahassee and stations are closed, out of gas and where gas is, traffic is lined out onto the streets.

There is no gas in NC. Sporadic tanks pull in and cars sit in line four hours to get some. How would things be different if the Keystone was open ? The big players in this game sure don't care, I've read Warren Buffet owns big interest in the railroad that tankers the Keystone oil. I think he made big contributions to the Tater head-in-chief, so they are ok with it. We are gonna be back needing terrorist oil, so soon they will have the money to attack us again, using troops that came in from the southern border this year, and nobody knows what they carried in with them. Could be dirty bombs this time. I think we're screwed. :facepalm1:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"