Kibler Colonial Rifle Kit

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
qz2026

Kibler Colonial Rifle Kit

Post by qz2026 »

I just became aware of these kits recently. From what I researched, Kibler's kits are top notch and virtually the majority of work has already been done. Every thing is CNC machines including all the parts provided, even the lock is his. For traditional builders, this is probably not their cup of tea. I'll say however, that for those who don't have the tools or experience build these guns from scratch, finding this high quality kits was amazing. So far, I am quite satisfied. These kits require only minor clean up of the inlet areas. At my request, they even included some wood scraps to experiment with the finishing method.

The work is in progress at this point. I am waiting for a jeweler's blade for my coping saw in order to elongate the pinned tabs that secure the barrel to the stock. This is highly recommended to compensate for weather and humidity changes that can affect the stock. Additionally, When I was preparing the patch box cover, I found that the pre-drilled hole that secures the spring had a broken drill bit in it. But, I was more than happy when I called about this that they are sending two replacements to me so it will, as close as possible, match the wood grain on the butt stock.

I will be using Iron Nitrate and Tried and True Varnish Oil to finish it with. It should really pop. I will age the barrel and brass as well.

Wish me luck. So far, so good... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Kibler Colonial Rifle Kit

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks good so far, cool rifle, and a flinter to boot. That will be a fun rifle. Good luck :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Looking forward to seeing it built and all gussied up......So keep us updated!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a really nice piece of lumber on that one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

No kidding, that woodgrain is going to have a beautiful tiger stripe pattern to it. Nice shipping crate! Can't wait to see the finished product.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Fledge wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:15 am No kidding, that woodgrain is going to have a beautiful tiger stripe pattern to it. Nice shipping crate! Can't wait to see the finished product.
:pointup: What he says, that'll be a real gem.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Two days after I notified them of the patch cover issue, they sent me two replacements and a new spring to boot. Not a perfect match but it will be fine. Although it is typical to wait for three months or longer to receive a kit, their service and support is excellent. After installing and filing the end to match up with the butt plate, I spent a couple of hours filing and polishing the butt plate. Looks pretty good... Work progresses, slowly but surely..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Barrel finished and tabs extended. The barrel is not as dark as it appears in the picture. Next steps - secure the nose cap and begin sanding the stock.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Looking good, can't wait to see it done....! :Drool1:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
eric28

Post by eric28 »

Nice job. Waiting on the final outcome
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That’s gonna be beautiful. I imagine this guy has plenty of business with such a nice product. I’m looking forward to much more of this [emoji3]
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Thank you again for this thread QZ, I found his website and YouTube channel. Considering the quality and attention to detail, I think these are a real good price for what you get. Best of luck in the build and making it your own.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Stock is ready for finish now. I sanded and raised the grain four times from 150 grit to 800 grit in order to get a smoother finish.
IMG_4502.JPG
I have decided, however, to use Tannic Acid with the Iron Nitrate. So I await the Tannic Acid to be delivered. I think that I will like it more just a bit darker. What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbgeAPnRaa4
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

you will need some long-ass rubber bands for that shooter......
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Can't wait for the final finish.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Got the finish on now and have since added another light coat of oil to help bring out the bottom grain. I opted to use Tannic acid on this one as you can see. This resulted in a bit darker finish but it has a very unique or traditional look to it. The extra sanding (up to 800 grit) really helped. The finish i smooth as a baby's ass :D . The only issue is that the patch door came out much lighter than I anticipated so I'm working to darken it up a bit. I'll let the most current oil cure and then assemble the final product.

I think that it really came out nicely. What do you think? It really has an iridescent look to it.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow, that came out awesome. Would have never dreamed the wood would look like that.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

SWEET!!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Getting close. I still have to size and fit the pins and age their ends. I'm not thrilled about the cleaning rod though. It's like a dog's hind leg and fits way to tight even after significant sanding. Right now if I would push the rod all the way down, I'd never get it out again. It may end up as just an ornamental piece since when I shoot these guns I use a range rod for loading. Perhaps I'll replace it and with something other than hickory.

The big question now is... should I age the lock to a bit darker color? Decisions, decisions. I think the patch box cover is ok. Not a perfect match but close.

A few minor mistakes here and there but overall I'm fairly happy.