1905 Tula/Finn M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
soldierblue

1905 Tula/Finn M91

Post by soldierblue »

Hello All-
I recently acquired an obviously Finn captured M91. It has a stock that has been inletted for the early finger rest tang from the trigger guard rearward to the the wrist. Has anyone here seen or heard of a place where these may be procured? Are there any reproduction ones available? I'd like to put one back on to preserve the inletting on the wood. Don't know if the Finns captured it that way or not. Any assistance would be appreciated.
ssg_lord

Re: 1905 Tula/Finn M91

Post by ssg_lord »

I've only ever seen a early finger rest for sale loose once and it went for quite a bit as I recall (over 100$) I've never seen or heard of a reproduction part being made. Has the stock inlet been filled with a wood insert?
soldierblue

Post by soldierblue »

ssg_lord-

Thanks for the reply. The answer to your question is no, the inletting is not filled in, nor does it appear to have ever been. This stock also appears to be made of walnut in one piece, and has regular sling escutcheons. There are no legible marks anywhere on it. There is a circular cartouche on the right side of the butt, but it is illegible. $100 usd for a part of this sort sounds reasonable considering the rarity of them, and even a proper cleaning rod for one is the better part of a C note as well. It would be great if there were a mechanical drawing with dimensions. I think could replicate a decent copy by doing some serious file work.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

My personal opinion is the price would be far above $100 now, unless you could find one at a shop or show in a parts bin.