Sniper rear sight

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
nexikan

Sniper rear sight

Post by nexikan »

Hello!

I've heard that original sniper rear sight "runner" (or how to call it properly?) must be with square edge. Please let me know if it is true or not or there are exceptions. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Sniper rear sight

Post by Miller Tyme »

My BS meter is going off, this reminds me of the drifted front sight theory to tell a real sniper from a reproduction. I have 1/2 a dozen Russian PU snipers and they are split about 50/50 between the 2 rear sight slider styles. More than likely it was a change in production design to speed up production and nothing more.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
nexikan

Post by nexikan »

Thank you Miller! I am very new to the topic, just watched one Russian guy on YouTube claiming that it is true, and wanted to confirm, cheers!
Last edited by nexikan on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My only PU has the bevel on the front, but if I took it off and turned it around it would be square in the front.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Two side bevel is a postwar repair depot modification, was used on both regular and sniper rifles.
Originally, bevel was from the top front sight. During the sighting process at the factory or in the field, the slider was grinded from the bottom to match the rear sight gauge for each individual rifle. During refurb parts were mismatched, and slider did not worked properly on a new rifle , that's why second bewel was added and it was rotated by another side
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Thank you Ratnik. That makes perfect sense. Most "theories" have simple answers.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis