S&W Model of 1905, 4th Change

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

S&W Model of 1905, 4th Change

Post by SA1911a1 »

For the last couple of years I have not been updating my records when I have bought, sold or traded guns and my records were in a hell of a mess. I have been obsessing over it, thinking about how embarrassing it would be to have to explain to the Sheriff's department, that I just don't have a clue what was stolen....

I worked on it most of the day today and got my handguns squared away. going through all of them to verify I had correct serials was like opening Christmas packages. I dug out one gun that, frankly, I forgot that I owned. It is a pretty interesting piece. It appears to be all original and in good shape, tight, it indexes properly, and the nickel finish is in really good shape considering the age. It is an interesting piece because there is no S&W logo on either side of the revolver, but there is not other signs of refinishing. As it turns out, S&W made a few thousand of these in 1917 and 1918 without applying the logo on the side. The serial numbers jive with those dates. The round butt version was also less common on these guns that were made from about 1915-1942.

I am thinking that this one may deserve a Smith and Wesson letter. There is no telling how it spent the First World War. Excuse the oily film on the piece, I didn't want to have to remove it for pics and reapply it for protection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: S&W Model of 1905, 4th Change

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:

Reasons to forget what you have in your own collection, you have way too much shit, you have gone senile, Gremlins really do exist, and they swap shit in and out of your collection at random. One day I WILL catch those damn Gremlins in the act.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt