New to me Savage

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

New to me Savage

Post by millman »

My father bought this a year or so ago and shot it 10 times. He asked me on Thursday, if I wanted it. Yes Please.
It is a Savage Mod10 in .223, wearing a Nikon BDC scope. Hopefully I can get out soon to sight it in. The scope was on crooked, so I had to take it off and remount it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to me Savage

Post by Longcolt44 »

Congrats, now good luck finding any .223 ammo.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm Congrats, now good luck finding any .223 ammo.
Got some.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool, just don't shoot more than you can replace.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Looks like a good coyote gun. :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sonny wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:22 pm Looks like a good coyote gun. :thumbsup:
That is what I am thinking. This is my first Savage centerfire rifle. I have been seeing good reviews. The trigger is great.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really nice! I like wood and steel. All these new rifles are plastic-looking. I wouldn't mind having a bolt rifle in .223 Rem,
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:43 pm
Longcolt44 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:28 pm Congrats, now good luck finding any .223 ammo.
Got some.
Great looking rifle!!!! Having ammo for it is half the battle.

Enjoy!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice Model 10, millman! :vcool: :thumbsup:

You'll like the scope, too. I had one on my first Axis, but my son got it in the trade. He got that gun/scope and his 870 back, for his AR.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

What is the difference in .223 and 5.56 ammo? I know there must be something because they say you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but not the other way around?

I have a STAG AR15 and it has printed on the top of the barrel .223. I contacted Stag and they told me most AR15's are marked 5.56 (including theirs) and are capable of firing .223 or 5.56. They said mine was a "special contract" made the same as their others, just marked .223 and it will fire either.

So, there must be a difference. Last I remember reading is, for some reason 5.56 fired in an old .223 can build highter pressures. But most older .223's can handle it. .... ???????

Darryl
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Darryl wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 am What is the difference in .223 and 5.56 ammo? I know there must be something because they say you can shoot .223 in a 5.56 rifle, but not the other way around?

I have a STAG AR15 and it has printed on the top of the barrel .223. I contacted Stag and they told me most AR15's are marked 5.56 (including theirs) and are capable of firing .223 or 5.56. They said mine was a "special contract" made the same as their others, just marked .223 and it will fire either.

So, there must be a difference. Last I remember reading is, for some reason 5.56 fired in an old .223 can build highter pressures. But most older .223's can handle it. .... ???????

Darryl
That's what I heard too. The 5.56 nato has higher pressures than the .223 but I've shot 5.56 in my old Savage Axis chambered in .223

My new Kodiak Defence WC-180-C is chambered in .223 Wylde. They say this chambering is best to shoot both 5.56 and .223

I read that on FB so it must be true. :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

There is supposedly an issue with 5.56 in a .223 chamber, but not the other way around. I have seen lots of todo about it, but I don't recall seeing any pics or stories about an actual issue. That said. Everyone knows to ONLY shoot the ammo that matches the markings on your gun.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Look up "chamber pressures" for both 5.56 and 223 for the possible answer. 223 is about 12000 psi less.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice rifle, on its way to becoming a family heirloom.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum