Marlin model 336 (1977)

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
jimpierce7

Marlin model 336 (1977)

Post by jimpierce7 »

Howdy folks I hope all is well!! I'm having issues. lol I'm not liking the sites on my 30 30. Am I doing it wrong? Something missing? I've never used this kind of sites before and I'm having one hell of a time with them!! I'm sure somebody here knows what I'm talking about! Look through a hole, line up another hole with a post in the center? WTH is that? :chuckles:
I've been looking for instruction on how to use them and can't find it. So, I'm thinking about scoping it.
Any suggestions? How to use these sites and/or scopes?
boltaction

Re: Marlin model 336 (1977)

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
You have two peep sights? or your front sight is hooded? I don't get the question as printed. Show us a picture my friend.....
Peep sights are great, they beat the "V" notch sights hands down.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Not the best pictures. lol Couldn't get the phone to focus on the front site.
IMG_4258.jpg
IMG_4257.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

boltaction wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:24 am Hello,
You have two peep sights? or your front sight is hooded? I don't get the question as printed. Show us a picture my friend.....
I imagine I have some learnin' to do!! If I can figure out the sites I'll probably be happy!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

jimpierce7 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm
boltaction wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:24 am Hello,
I imagine I have some learnin' to do!! If I can figure out the sites I'll probably be happy!
Peep sights take some getting used to if you never used them before but you'll get the hang of it soon.

Just relax when you look through the peep and put the top of the front post in the middle of the peep and on your target. After awhile you'll pick that rifle up and your eye will automatically find the center of the peep without even thinking about it but putting the front post on target is another story. :lol:
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello. Wow,
That's more of a ghost ring in the rear, not a peep sight. That aperture(hole) is big. I can see why you're having issues with your shots.

Jim, That rear sight may be missing the screw-in aperture. Is that hole threaded?, if so you need the screw-in apertures. They come in different sizes(smaller the better). That sight looks like an Lymans, Redfeild or Williams target/match "style" adjustable rear sight. I have one on a 1903a3, and it takes inserts. Take a look for threads in that hole.
Are you a lefty? Left-handed that is... I notice, the hammer spur on the left side.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

boltaction wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:43 pm Hello. Wow,
That's more of a ghost ring in the rear, not a peep sight. That aperture(hole) is big. I can see why you're having issues with your shots.

Jim, That rear sight may be missing the screw-in aperture. Is that hole threaded?, if so you need the screw-in apertures. They come in different sizes(smaller the better). That sight looks like an Lymans, Redfeild or Williams target/match "style" adjustable rear sight. I have one on a 1903a3, and it takes inserts. Take a look for threads in that hole.
Are you a lefty? Left-handed that is... I notice, the hammer spur on the left side.

Yes I am a lefty. But I didn't set up the gun. Just lucky I guess. lol Yes, there are threads in the rear site! So I have parts missing then. This was a consignment sale at my LGS. Previous, and original owner, passed away. The threads are sort of visible in the pic.
IMG_4263.jpg
IMG_4261.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

It's a Williams. A much older style than what is pictured here. But I do see what is missing. And it explains a lot as to why I was having a horrible time hitting what I want! I only had one opportunity to take it out after I got it before COVID hit. Until my birthday last Friday (59!!! :shock: ) I figure I should hit better with the 30 30 than I do with my M44. lol
5D-_MARLIN_336_prod_3279_l_70224-1.jpg
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Cool
Williams and Redfeild apertures have the same thread pitch when you go looking for one.(e-bay)
Oh. If, the rifle came with a case, check the pockets... I keep spares there.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

jimpierce7 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:17 pm It's a Williams. A much older style than what is pictured here. But I do see what is missing. And it explains a lot as to why I was having a horrible time hitting what I want! I only had one opportunity to take it out after I got it before COVID hit. Until my birthday last Friday (59!!! :shock: ) I figure I should hit better with the 30 30 than I do with my M44. lol

5D-_MARLIN_336_prod_3279_l_70224-1.jpg
Midway has some apertures, see link to see what's available.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQ ... PerPage=48
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Thank you very much!! Guess I'm going to have to get a couple and see what works!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

jimpierce7 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 am Thank you very much!! Guess I'm going to have to get a couple and see what works!!
You can hit with that rifle as is if it's sighted in. Once it is the small peep sight is removed by a lot of hunters to make a running shot easier. Focus on the front sight, the human eye looks through the center of a hole automatically. Just look through the hole and put the front bead dead on.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"