Ruger Old Army range time

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Ruger Old Army range time

Post by bunkysdad »

I could not decide the other day which black powder revolver to take to the range between the 1847 Walker, the 1860 Colt Army, or the 1851 Navy. So I took the Ruger Old Army and dang does that gun ever punch some big beautiful holes! I bought this revolver used about 35 years ago and never understood why someone would drill 3 holes in the hammer. I have been told recently that competitive shooters would do this to lighten the hammer and included a trigger/action job. This makes sense because the trigger pull on the gun is smoother and breaks cleaner than any other firearm I own. Anyway it sure is a pleasure to shoot. I was using 30 grain Pyrodex pellets and they are a decent moderate load and quite accurate. When the ball and felt wad are pressed down it crushes the pellet.ImageImage
tjtM38

Re: Ruger Old Army range time

Post by tjtM38 »

I wish I had not sold mine. They are excellent revolvers. Think I always used a 40 grain spout which was really too much powder for the .457 round ball. 30 grains sounds about right. Good shooting.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice set of irons there BD.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The older I get the more I like single action revolvers, and at the range you don’t have to hoof it 100 yards to fix your target 😀