Help on authenticity of ‘44 PU

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Neaton86

Help on authenticity of ‘44 PU

Post by Neaton86 »

Hello all,
I’ve been looking at this ‘44 PU, but I am questioning its authenticity based on the lack of a scope SN on the left side of the barrel shank. The seller advised it appears to have some light machining marks where the SN would have been, but he said it is hard to tell. Scope and mount look ilegitimate. I believe it’s a Tulsky import.

Any input? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Help on authenticity of ‘44 PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

From what little can be seen from those pics it is a legit scope and mount, other than that those pics dont tell alot.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Miller Tyme wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:18 am From what little can be seen from those pics it is a legit scope and mount, other than that those pics dont tell alot.
:pointup:

Is it an Izhevsk or a Tula? I don't see a scope s/n on the left side of the barrel which should be there if the gun was a true Izhevsk sniper. Not always there however... That said, the stock cutout for the mount looks legit and not freshly cut. Looks like one of those current import Tulsky's which really shouldn't make much difference.
Neaton86

Post by Neaton86 »

I've attached some better photos once I saved them on my laptop.
Hope these help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeronimo62

Post by Jeronimo62 »

Looks like a good one to me! On the barrel shank, above left (or fwd) of where the scope SN used to be, is the "U" stamp (looks like "y"). On a normal infantry weapon it would be where the scope number would be. So that's a first good indicator. A 1944 date is also good for an Izhevsk rifle. The stamped square with the X inside is the proof that it's been arsenal refurbished. I can't speak for the rest of the rifle as far as matching goes due to a lack of photos, but at a glance it looks good. What type of sling escutcheons does the stock have? Not lined or half-escutcheons would be okay for '44. The PU mount is good with electro-penned scope and rifle SN (done during the re-arsenal). It's a nice Progres scope (with rearsenal stamp), so it all ties together. An original sniper rifle with original components mated together during re-arsenal. That's my conclusion. I'll post photos of mine later (since I'm a newbie on this forum)...
"He who laughs last, didn't get the joke" :chuckles: