Keeping it.

Modern rifles and Sportsters are discussed here.

Sportsters:
We don't advocate making Sportsters from military surplus rifles. We do recognize the ones already made in years past as pieces of history and of importance (such as the Bannerman, Blindee and old custom sportsters). If you bought one, you may show it here. Discussion of how to do this kind of work is not allowed. It is contrary to our over all forum values. So please don't abuse this forum. All final decisions will be made by the Administrators and no one else please. Non permanent alterations may be shown here but keep in mind, if it is in conflict with the "spirit" of these forums, we may remove it at our discretion.
steelbuttplate

Keeping it.

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got a table at a show in late Oct. This one stays here with Moon. She likes having the gun shop all to herself at night. I think its a rifle to hold at times like these. And it's the only scoped rifle I've got at the time, I gave my Rem. 78 slayer to my grandson. I've morphed into a iorn sight shooter. Me no sellum. :vcool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Keeping it.

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice rifle. When people ask me why I don't own an AR 15, I just ask them back, "Why, I have two Mini 14's". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtO ... mb_rel_end
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When people ask me why I don't own an AR15, I say I already have an M14 and 8 Garands, why the fuck would I want an AR when I have all that? Friend of mine had one of these in stainless years back, not sure what he did with it. I have two of the sized down versions, 10-22, fun shooters, but I never did put scopes on them, not yet anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've not had this type reticle in a scope before, but I think it'll be the bomb on game shots. It's kinda PU style with the top half of the picture wide open. The bottom left of this group is the one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello,
Nice mini-30. One caliber I don't own. Yet, I do like the mini-14; like the others.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:57 pm Nice rifle. When people ask me why I don't own an AR 15, I just ask them back, "Why, I have two Mini 14's". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtO ... mb_rel_end
I feel that same way because I own a SKS.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:31 am
Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:57 pm Nice rifle. When people ask me why I don't own an AR 15, I just ask them back, "Why, I have two Mini 14's". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtO ... mb_rel_end
I feel that same way because I own a SKS.
I think if I had to leave home with one for any reason It would be an SKS, just because it's stripper fed, the weight, and the bayonet.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If I have to bug out it will be with the M14, or M1. Ammo is common, and I might feel the need to beat the living shit out of someone using the buttstock with it's heavy steel buttplate. Carbines don't lend themselves well to what I have in mind, because I plan on getting absolutely medieval on anyone who's responsible for me having to leave my comfortable bed.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm If I have to bug out it will be with the M14, or M1. Ammo is common, and I might feel the need to beat the living shit out of someone using the buttstock with it's heavy steel buttplate. Carbines don't lend themselves well to what I have in mind, because I plan on getting absolutely medieval on anyone who's responsible for me having to leave my comfortable bed.
I'm afraid If I get killed some Nasturd goon will grab my M1A. :bigrant: It can defend the home ground, If we get overrun here to hell with it I guess. I might open up a can of karate/bayonet in a medieval fashion myself, once or twice at most. :oji:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:36 pm When people ask me why I don't own an AR15, I say I already have an M14 and 8 Garands, why the fuck would I want an AR when I have all that? Friend of mine had one of these in stainless years back, not sure what he did with it. I have two of the sized down versions, 10-22, fun shooters, but I never did put scopes on them, not yet anyway.
You should try a scoped 10/22. Mine is just a basic black rifle 15 yrs old and it put 5 shots in one hole @ 50 ' the other day. With a $25 scope.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have other scoped .22's, I have a lot of .22 for that matter. Most of my .22 shooting is with bolt rifles, the 10/22's don't come out often enough to be worth the scope expense. I do have the Ruger 77/22, that one has no scope or iron sights. I got it with several other rifles, guy bought it new, somehow lost the correct scope rings, and scope. He tried to mount some generic scope on it, wrong rings, they don't let the bolt clear. Brand new old rifle, and I can't shoot it, these things are like 500-700 used.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I got Ruger scope rings for the mini-30 from Gunpartscorp or Brownells I can't remember. It has semi crescent grooves in the receiver for the Ruger mounts.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The older I get, the more I like 7.62 x 39 over 30.06.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:56 am I got Ruger scope rings for the mini-30 from Gunpartscorp or Brownells I can't remember. It has semi crescent grooves in the receiver for the Ruger mounts.
No I didn't, they came on the gun and the scope was no good.
Laager

Post by Laager »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:49 pm
I'm afraid If I get killed some Nasturd goon will grab my M1A. :bigrant: It can defend the home ground, If we get overrun here to hell with it I guess. I might open up a can of karate/bayonet in a medieval fashion myself, once or twice at most. :oji:
[/quote]

I have the same fear, but hopefully the goon’s buddies paid a high price to pry it away from me.

I will admit that being over 65 (as are most of my close friends) I would not look forward to having to ruck it home with a rifle in 7.62x51mm. But I do still enjoy shooting the M1a and I usually have one on my quad when wandering around in the desert of Eastern New Mexico and West Texas.
The old saying ounces equals pounds and pounds equal pain really seems to count the older I get.
SteelBP

Post by SteelBP »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 am The older I get, the more I like 7.62 x 39 over 30.06.
I took an SKS in the rain one day this year, no scope to fog or blur up, the soft point round went thru both sides of a deer with a nasty exit at 65 yd.