Storm Last Night

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
Rowdy1

Storm Last Night

Post by Rowdy1 »

From our Backyard.
7E84E3DC-74C3-49D9-BB6C-DB278A37F440.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Re: Storm Last Night

Post by qz2026 »

Wow... Great shot :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Great shot! I know some people I would like to have been standing in those two hot spots.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Great picture.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Neat pic, what is that woolly bugger cactus in the foreground?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Awesome and scary sight that's for sure.

My dad had a very healthy respect for lightning. Back in Sept 1981 at Homestead AFB, FL, he was stuck by lightning while in his office in the hanger. He was on the phone at the time, so they theorize it came through the phone lines.

After hearing a bang, the line going dead, and him not answering the radio, they sent a few guys over to check on him. When they found him a few minutes later, he was was unconscious and had a irregular heartbeat. The phone was melted, they found him under a desk that wasn't his. When asked later about the incident, he recalled being leaned back in his chair with his feet up on HIS desk, on the phone. Then waking up in ICU.......

To the day he died, everytime there was a thunderstorm he sat in the middle of the house away from all electronics, and would get off the phone (Even though it was a cordless one).

He said it only takes one time being zotted and surviving to give you a healthy respect for it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

Longcolt44 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:47 pm Neat pic, what is that woolly bugger cactus in the foreground?
Called a cholla
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

ffuries wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:46 pm Awesome and scary sight that's for sure.

My dad had a very healthy respect for lightning. Back in Sept 1981 at Homestead AFB, FL, he was stuck by lightning while in his office in the hanger. He was on the phone at the time, so they theorize it came through the phone lines.

After hearing a bang, the line going dead, and him not answering the radio, they sent a few guys over to check on him. When they found him a few minutes later, he was was unconscious and had a irregular heartbeat. The phone was melted, they found him under a desk that wasn't his. When asked later about the incident, he recalled being leaned back in his chair with his feet up on HIS desk, on the phone. Then waking up in ICU.......

To the day he died, everytime there was a thunderstorm he sat in the middle of the house away from all electronics, and would get off the phone (Even though it was a cordless one).

He said it only takes one time being zotted and surviving to give you a healthy respect for it.
Lightning can also travel through metal pipes. That's why I avoid taking a bath or shower if there is an electrical storm in the area. I remember talking with an old railroader about the swing bridge at Bridgeport, Alabama. He mentioned that the operator's cab had a large rubber mat. If an thunderstorm came up, they were required to stay on the mat.