Chinese SKS Markings (sticky)

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
The End

Chinese SKS Markings (sticky)

Post by The End »

Hoping someone can help. I have a Chinese sks but want to know if it is military or not. It has made in china on side of receiver. It has the date of manufacture and the serial number but no Chinese characters or triangle. Also it doesn't say Norinco any place on the rifle. Anybody know how I can tell? -Don
Pads are not meant for Mosin rifles, they are meant for a woman's monthlies!
Greasemonkey

Re: Chinese SKS

Post by Greasemonkey »

Sounds like a scrubbed receiver, the date is possibly the import date. The only Chinese Type 56 SKS that is able to be dated is the arsenal /26\. As to being military issue, with the original markings scrubbed, it would be hard to tell, however, it was made in a military/Chinese gov't run factory. Military or not, Chinese made SKS carbines are generally very good quality wise :thumbsup:.

Post a photo of it and a good shot of the left side of the receiver or any markings for a more accurate identification.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

After the initial imports were going on from China the market was flooded with Military surplus guns. The importers were offered large amounts of spare parts, which they were not interested in tying up there money for. The bulk of all Chinese guns that came in were most likely rebuilt. The parts were then used to build complete guns They did not bother to mark them as Military contract guns were and just gave them what was needed for importation. ALL Parts are Military production but they were assembled for commercial sales only. There are a few no factory code guns around those were early builds with serial numbers below 1 million.

there are well over 150 factory codes that are known about Many of these were assigned at assembly shops. In China they do not have that many dedicated factories for just weapons production. Factories are given specifications and contracts to make parts these parts whether milled or stamped all meet the specifications. They are sent to assembly shops which build the gun crate them and ship them to Military storage. Codes are assigned by the shop that built the guns and many can come out of the same shop Unlike factory triangle 26 which was a dedicated factory that made the whole gun.

Factory codes have to be looked at carefully with a magnifier to see whether the numbers are 5 or 6 some are hard to visualize depending on how well they are struck Posted is my collection of data on factory codes some have been seen by me others were sent to me so some you may never find. They use letter codes, triangle codes, rectangle codes, oval codes, diamond codes, and combinations of letters and chinese characters other than the model which is seen as 56 type. I will try to get some better scans of my list that are darker but these will help for now I have collected these for years a one with a new one please let me know
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

some guns crated being shipped to Canada for sale there the photos are from Marstar and were posted on the Canadian Gun NUts boards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

That is very interesting info Howie, :toast: I've heard the oval and rectangle stamped were retail/commercial made models, triangle stamped was generally military contract, any truth in it?

I would vote info like that for a sticky post :D
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Drago

Post by Drago »

This would make a great sticky. I've always liked those drawings, Howie. Somewhere, I found someone that did similar drawings, but they weren't yours.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Those are some great diagrams. I will discuss the making of a sticky of them with the other powers that be.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Longcolt44 wrote:Those are some great diagrams. I will discuss the making of a sticky of them with the other powers that be.
I see it is now a "Sticky" To Management! This is what I call his 2012 Version. It is the standard for determining what the Chinese Arsenal is.
Several other Boards use this as a sticky. However, we are very fortunate to have the up to date version offered to this Forum. Howie has spent more years researching these than many of our members are old. The Non-Preservationist Boards have not been updated now for a number of years.
We are most fortunate to obtain these.

Thank You Very Much Howie!!!!!!!!
Steve
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

Greasemonkey wrote:That is very interesting info Howie, :toast: I've heard the oval and rectangle stamped were retail/commercial made models, triangle stamped was generally military contract, any truth in it?

I would vote info like that for a sticky post :D
No I believe they use the various triangles ovals rectangles diamonds and letter codes to make it look like they have tons of manufacturing shops building guns. The fact is that production is assigned to shops all over the country that can produce what is contracted to them. It makes no difference to them if its milled or stamped as long as it comes into specification. The parts are then shipped to assembly shops and then the guns are assembled checked packed and delivered.

There is no reason they would mark guns for specific customer it makes no sense. The Govt makes the guns and then stores them at areas where if emergency arises they can be distributed. If a customer wants several thousand the just take them from stores and ship them. Canada got a bunch of triangle 526 in the batch that I posted pics here of.
fenceline

Re: Chinese SKS Markings (sticky)

Post by fenceline »

This thread needs more pictures of markings... POST THEM UP GUYS!!! Here is the /26\ mark on my 66. Let's see some of the other factory markings out there...

OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

This is an educational sticky. Look at Howie's diagrams of all he has ever found. Besides, you only show a standard /26\. Nothing at all special about it..
No SN, so it says nothing. If you want to see what is out there, read Howies diagrams. He is the master of collecting the Chinese.
This thread is not for mass posting in my opinion. :roll:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

Sorry. I thought that pictures of actual factory stamps might be more educational when compared to the sketches, given peoplle often misread their Type 56's stamp as being one factory rather than the right one. Real markings when compared to sketches would be way more valuable.

SN is a 10 million series.
Varmit1

Post by Varmit1 »

Here's my Norinco's receiver. One million six series serial number.

What's the difference between an Obama supporter and a Romney supporter?

A Romney supporter signs his check on the front ...
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

/106\ ?
Varmit1

Post by Varmit1 »

If the long "/" on the left inside the triangle is considered a"1"' than it is "106".

Chinese type 56 "106" is pictured on the hand drawn list above. Any ideas as to origin?
What's the difference between an Obama supporter and a Romney supporter?

A Romney supporter signs his check on the front ...
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

that is a 106 you really have to look carefully at these codes and some times a 5 may be a 6 depending on how it got stamped. Thanks for posting the pic with serial number I collect these as well as examples and have a serial number list I collect as well to see whats showed up here anyone that would like to add theres to my list email me hbearse@comcast.net I want a photo like the one posted earlier of the 106 code with complete serial number My list has no names associated with any serial numbers
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Here is a /306\ with a pinned barrel.
DSC00794.JPG
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Vad321

Post by Vad321 »

Here is an example of a Sino-Soviet serial # and marking from the Jianshe factory /26\, early 1956. Serial's for a Sino-Soviet are always to the left of the factory mark, start with an alpha character, and end with 4 digits. Anything to the right of the factory mark, or doesn't follow that serial# format, isn't a Sino-Soviet from 1956. Got this out of a surplus bin covered in cosmoline. Was battle used, bluing and rifling in great shape, but had some signs of corrosive ammo on the outer metal of the carrier and bolt.

Jeff2-142

Post by Jeff2-142 »

I believe the OP was referring to the "ghost" Chicoms that are early series rifles. These rifles came before the Sino Soviet series (after the super early Chinese guns with the Tula star on receiver were off the line.)

Russian parts, Russian proofs. No Chinese arsenal marks anywhere except for the tiny importers mark telling me it's from the PRC.

mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'll post a pic of my Ghost gun. No letter prefix, 4 digit serial, no factory code, no Chinese characters, all matching numbers. Can't do it from my phone, or else this old man hasn't figured out how...