SKS in NY?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
matt167

SKS in NY?

Post by matt167 »

Is an SKS with bayonet and lug legal in NY? I'm 99% sure that it is with a fixed mag

I have my unknown Chinese one that I bought from a friend that needs some work to the stock ( or replacement ), but I'm at a tipping point now ordering another but crate fresh if it's legal for FFL. I want to clean up another crate fresh gun and have a 100% correct gun...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: SKS in NY?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fixed magazine and original stock? If yes then your good, aftermarket stock with pistol grip and altered to use detachable magazine, then no.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Thanks, that's what I thought. And anything other than original wood stock and mag would not interest me
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Good answer Matt167.....
Renfield54

Post by Renfield54 »

Hi....newbie here...again....had to re-join.
I'm also in NYS, and as of today, yes, you can still own one...I have a Yugo M59-66 complete with it's bayo, and the grenade launcher attached to the barrel, plus the flip up sights for the launcher. The fixed magazine let's it skim in just under King Andy's radar for "assault weapons".....but given the political changes that are being prepped to go into effect as soon as January, this could all be changed for the worse....we all just have to pray we don't get clobbered too hard.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Modifying an SKS from original military configuration takes it off C&R status too. The thing about any military rifle listed as C&R is that it is C&R only in its original military configuration.
Renfield54

Post by Renfield54 »

This is true, but our Governor and his UN-safe act doesn't care about C&R status....only bad gun make many fast Bang-Bangs....Evil, must take away from everyone except criminals, who don't have to follow the laws!
I love NYS.....but I can NOT stomach our Governor....
Sorry....I strayed away from the thread subject, it's just a trigger for me sometimes...NYS & guns.
Anyways, I do agree nothing being done to a rifle that removes it's status as C&R eligible....I love all of 'em in original military condition.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Renfield54 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 pm This is true, but our Governor and his UN-safe act doesn't care about C&R status....only bad gun make many fast Bang-Bangs....Evil, must take away from everyone except criminals, who don't have to follow the laws!
I love NYS.....but I can NOT stomach our Governor....
Sorry....I strayed away from the thread subject, it's just a trigger for me sometimes...NYS & guns.
Anyways, I do agree nothing being done to a rifle that removes it's status as C&R eligible....I love all of 'em in original military condition.
No problem here. I've got family in western NYS and I won't even consider moving there because of the anti-gun attitude of the crowd in Albany and NYC. You want to stop crime? How about dealing with poverty and other issues in the cities? Sure you will always have a criminal element, but improving the living situations-i.e. a living wage and path to the middle class will cut a lot of that down. NYC's a great place for a lot of things, but being a gun owner isn't one of those.
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I'm from the NYS wannabe, IL. I feel the same with milsurps, I don't want modified or sporterized, I like 'em original condition. I love the nostalgia and the history.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!