M39 tang marking help.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Inkedforlife76

M39 tang marking help.

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

Hello everyone. New member here. Jerry. I collect and enjoy history and mosins are an addiction. I just picked up a 1944 Sako and pulled the action to look at the tang. There is no date or mark on the underside. Just the two similar markings one on top of the tang and one on the side. I'm curious if this is a makers marking or am I off on that assumption. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: M39 tang marking help.

Post by millman »

I seem to remember that letters with an arrow coming off of them denote New England Westinghouse. Someone will correct me if my memory is faulty.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Yes. Westinghouse Hill plant.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Homer2 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:46 am Yes. Westinghouse Hill plant.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks Homer.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Inkedforlife76

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

Thank you very much for the information. I was looking into it too much and easy to see it's an h with arrow. The vast assortment of mosin markings causes ones brain to overthink at times. Does anyone have any insight to date on the receiver based on the H marking.
Inkedforlife76

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

A few pics of the rifle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Inkedforlife76

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

A few more pics
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice gun :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And many of the SAKO's had matching magazines, at least the doors. Not so for the other M-39's.
Inkedforlife76

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

The door does match on this one. The bolt number is 3215 and off by 67 from the receiver which is rather cool.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Hmmm, a bit disconcerting... The bolt should be Finn matched. There is no stamping on the bolt knob?
Inkedforlife76

Post by Inkedforlife76 »

The bolt knob is stamped. Its stamped 3215.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:? Oh well...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is a very nice rifle you found. It really would be hard to find a better shooting milsurp rifle than a good M39