PSA Lower Opinions

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

PSA Lower Opinions

Post by ffuries »

I'm thinking about doing an AR-15 with triangular handguards, like I used when I first came into the AF.

I looked at a PSA lower at a good price and was wondering how good they are. I've read reviews that range from they suck to they rock. Anybody here with a PSA AR15 have any input?

At $169.99 for a complete lower, it's a no brainer price wise, but I have no expereince with them.

I figured I could get the lower now, and continue to look for an complete upper with a 20 inch barrel and a triangular handguard cap.

Pros and cons are welcomed, I trust yalls opinions.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-com ... er-a2.html
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tjtM38

Re: PSA Lower Opinions

Post by tjtM38 »

I bought one a couple of years ago. The trigger was a bit rough and gritty, so I changed it to a BCM enhanced combat trigger. Everything else about the lower was very good finish and quality. I think you will be fine with the PSA. I did the same thing you are doing; started with a lower and built a rifle that resembles the M16A4 with a PSA 20" classic upper with carry handle and one of their nickle boron bolt carrier groups. Good luck with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

If you want a better trigger, this complete lower has it for $40 more:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa1 ... eiver.html
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Pretty much all the cheaper lowers will come with a gritty, creeping trigger group in them. If you stone the machining marks off the face of the trigger and install a Kaw Valley spring set it will be acceptable.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Mil spec triggers suck. Put at least a Geissele G2S trigger in one. I have AR's of all flavors including Noveske, Colt, Spikes, PSA, Anderson and USM4. As long as a lower is in spec then a lower is a lower is a lower is a lower. My PSA's and Anderson's do the same thing my Colt and Noveske's do and most of the time are from the same forge. For the money a PSA or Anderson lower will get the job done nicely.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I have a PSA lower. I think it looks nice, functions fine. I didn't mind the trigger that came with my PSA lower part kits. I've been liking the Geiselle rapid fire trigger with the heavier spring. The trigger is too light with the normal spring, but very good with the heavier (black) spring.
Mosin Fanboy
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

The bottom line is that MilSpec is MilSpec. All my experiences (several) with Palmetto have been favorable. IMO, PSA is GTG.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Thank you all for your input. I think it's a no brainer going with the complete PSA lower. Found some new made triangular handguards while surfing the internet.

Now to find complete upper with the integrated sight rail or as some call it carry handle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

When I built mine I replaced the regular trigger spring with a green one. It made the trigger much better. I had wholesale access to DPMS parts at the time, so that is what I went with for the lower and the upper moving parts. FNH barrel and an unmarked stripped upper. GI handguard. It is a real mutt, but I only have $230 in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:34 pm When I built mine I replaced the regular trigger spring with a green one. It made the trigger much better. I had wholesale access to DPMS parts at the time, so that is what I went with for the lower and the upper moving parts. FNH barrel and an unmarked stripped upper. GI handguard. It is a real mutt, but I only have $230 in it.
Damn, try and find one or build one for that price now..........I love the traditional look.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member