Calling the SKS by it's model numbers (sticky)

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Buckhead

Re: Calling the SKS by it's model numbers (sticky)

Post by Buckhead »

I have a type 56 SKS and it is a great shooter 2.5" to 3" groups at 100 yds. from a bench no problem. The workman ship is top quality. I think people think because the shit that they import now days that every thing they make is shit. Thanks for the post Howie.
Tex

Post by Tex »

The Soviet "Letter Date" (Tula Mfg.) with small star on side of the receiver will be one of three different ;etters that appear after serial number are Russian "D"-1956, "I"-1957 and "K"-1958 Mfg. This information came out of a Russian web page on Makarov pistols production and variations thru out there development. At this period of time in the Soviet Union the use of letter codes were quite common being use in smallarms ammo, AK, SKS's and Makarov production keeping the production of the manufacture of these weapons a clandestine secret.
The 0fficial designation for the Albanian SKS from the factory brochure is: Carbine Rifle 7.62 Model 561
I have a copy of the official Arsenal brochure with pictures of each rifle mfg. and the designation for each type.
I hope this information will be helpful to our fellow SKS collectors on this forum.
Bob "Tex" Hanes
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The brochure, as Tex describes above:

From Albania's website, and under the 'Enterprise' section of 'Military Industries', the translation:
"UM GRAMSH/Armament

State Owned Enterprise. Project work initiated in 1962, production under the license of Chinese began in 1966 with the “Simonov” type rifle 7.62 mm caliber. In 1974, the production of AK 47 machine gun was initiated.

UM GRAMSH renders manufacturing services for defense industry with its extensive precise machining, welding, heat treatment and surface plating capabilities.
And now from the official Albanian Arms factory brochure showing the various small-arms that they manufacture with the correct model designations for each weapon. The Albanian SKS officially is designated as a Model 561.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....