Calling the SKS by it's model numbers (sticky)

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
howiebearse

Re: lets get into the habit of calling the SKS what it is

Post by howiebearse »

martin08 wrote:I could go with the Type-1 NVA SKS having been produced in China, Howie. It has identical features to the 1957-1965 Type 56. However, if built in North Korea, they used different stock ferrules, bayonet lugs, gas blocks, rear sight bases , stocks, and trigger groups for their own. The Type-63 NK is its own animal, for sure. The CIA obviously didn't look too closely at the design.
Not only that but they have less info then we do I visited the Foreign training site at Aberdeen Md and got the run of the place I ended up sending them allot of info they did not know. Its not their priority just new stuff:)

The NVA gun is sure close to the Chinese built ones and I believe that the Chinese built them Initially as aid for the Vietnam incursion The guns have the supplied Russian sight leaves and Bayonets as well as following the pattern of the Chinese early guns. I also am sure that the serial number first two numbers are the date of manufacture. These run till I think the M21 guns were given as aid. Just my though:) for what its worth
Ironnewt

Re: lets get into the habit of calling the SKS what it is

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Thank you for the proper nomenclature Howie, I will try to remember to use it, however lapses should be expected, On a good day I remember my name, and that I should put on trousers before leaving the house, and were I put the keys, my glasses.....:)

tmi :big shock:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Jolly Green Chopper

Re: Calling the SKS by it's model numbers (sticky)

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

How do we change the name of this particular forum if not" SKS Forum" list each one? seems like a little extra work for someone.JGC
Simo

Post by Simo »

Oh what does Howie know :chuckles: sorry I had to :thumbsup:
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Jolly Green Chopper

Headquarters,Department of the Army TC 9-56 Training Circular Simonov Type 56 October 1969 The copy of this Manual clearly Prints on the front Page in large Bold print in the middle "SKS RIFLE"" ,It also goes on to add many other types, North Korea type 63 carbine ,Yugoslav m59/66 with grenade launcher is called a rifle in one picture but in a following description diagram of gas cutoff is labeled a carbine.This Offiical Manual calls the various SKS models both a rifle and a carbine at different times and places. I have a m59/66 and always thought of it as a carbine.But no wonder the mix up with stuff like this being sent out as official. I've heard the m59/66 with gas cutoff has a larger gas by pass tube which makes it superior to other models. Why would this be so? Thanks ,JGC
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

It isn't superior. They all function the same. The 59/66 has a different fit and mounting to the gas block than the others do is all.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Jolly Green Chopper

Thanks old outlaw.but I'm disappointed cause the guy I bought it from said he was a gunsmith and assured me it was better because of less chance of fouling because of larger size of gas volume available to cycle the bolt and ammo. Should have known something wasn't quite right. To complicated JGC
martin08

Post by martin08 »

More chances of fouling, as there is an added gas valve that sometimes gets neglected when cleaning. The gas port is the same size. The gas piston is the same length and diameter. The tube is different where it seals to the gas block.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jolly Green Chopper

damn ! I'm learning I guess Thanks JGC
Simo

Post by Simo »

IMHO, the 59/66 is more problematic than not to our purposes. Its ability to launch grenades is great for battle but for recreation shooters the extra length and weight of the useless grenade launching provision and the gas valve creates its own fouling issue that other SKS' don't suffer from. These are the reasons behind my disliking of the 59/66.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

Jolly Green Chopper wrote:How do we change the name of this particular forum if not" SKS Forum" list each one? seems like a little extra work for someone.JGC
no its a SKS forum which If I understand it correctly is what we are discussing regardless of model, or country. The nomenclature of each countries model would be the way to open and discuss that particular weapon . Hope that clarifies it
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

Eddystone06 wrote:Oh what does Howie know :chuckles: sorry I had to :thumbsup:

That Damn Howie knows nothing but sure as hell surmises allot and spreads his unsubstantiated information here and some other places. He does own allot of SKS Carbines though :) lol
Simo

Post by Simo »

howiebearse wrote:
Eddystone06 wrote:Oh what does Howie know :chuckles: sorry I had to :thumbsup:

That Damn Howie knows nothing but sure as hell surmises allot and spreads his unsubstantiated information here and some other places. He does own allot of SKS Carbines though :) lol
yeah you probably forgot me than I know :thumbsup:
MadDog56

Post by MadDog56 »

hllo, I'm a new member, signing as directed, and reporting for duty, sir!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Welcome! Glad you made it. Pull up a seat and get comfortable. Its a great place to hang out
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

Jolly Green Chopper wrote:Headquarters,Department of the Army TC 9-56 Training Circular Simonov Type 56 October 1969 The copy of this Manual clearly Prints on the front Page in large Bold print in the middle "SKS RIFLE"" ,It also goes on to add many other types, North Korea type 63 carbine ,Yugoslav m59/66 with grenade launcher is called a rifle in one picture but in a following description diagram of gas cutoff is labeled a carbine.This Offiical Manual calls the various SKS models both a rifle and a carbine at different times and places. I have a m59/66 and always thought of it as a carbine.But no wonder the mix up with stuff like this being sent out as official. I've heard the m59/66 with gas cutoff has a larger gas by pass tube which makes it superior to other models. Why would this be so? Thanks ,JGC

Military manuals are known for the errors and inconsistencies. It's a habit for most to call everything a rifle I think it has more to do with overall length but Originally the SKS was designed as a short rifle or Carbine.
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

Don't forget....

==Poland==
Wz49 KsS - Either a limited run of Poland produced sks variant or just a supply of Russian refurbs to Poland that they put in new stocks for Honour Guard duties. Jury is still out.
goldwinghg

Post by goldwinghg »

M21 Chinese, where does this model fit in with the Chinese models?
fenceline

Post by fenceline »

goldwinghg wrote:M21 Chinese, where does this model fit in with the Chinese models?
I would think as it was made by the Chinese, they would call it a Type 56. Country of origin would mean more than country of use. Just my ramblings.

Or maybe just call it an "M21" type haha.
desertgunner

Post by desertgunner »

With all due respect and thanks for the work done, please

correct some typos for the German info and one typo in the Yugo info:

1. VEB Fahrzeug und Geraete Werk Simpson, Suhl
2. VEB Ernst Thaelmann
3. Gebrueder Merkel

4. Kraguijevac (Serbian Version) , which is ZASTAVA today.

Other than that, I like the thread and the thought behind it.
I just dug out a Yugo 59/66 A1 (CA allowed version with the flash suppressor welded on to block the grenade launcher) for $375 in G to VG condition in heavy grease. And it stays like that till next December.....

Greetings
Desertgunner
"FOR WE ARE MANY"
An armed Public consists of Citizens, an unarmed Public consists of Subjects!