Rubber Tired Trolley

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
awalker1829

Rubber Tired Trolley

Post by awalker1829 »

Here’s a picture of a new arrival at the museum:

This car’s design is based on streetcars that operated in Boston, Massachusetts and is built on a heavily modified VW Beetle chassis. It was built in Tucson in the early 1980s by an ex-Bostonian and appeared at some of the early Old Pueblo Trolley events when we were organizing and raising public support for an operating streetcar line to connect the University of Arizona to downtown Tucson.

The windows on this side were badly rotted after years of outside storage in San Diego, California. They blew in while the car was on the truck to Tucson. The owner took the car when he left Tucson and eventually sold it to a trolley museum. It bounced around from one museum to another, eventually ending up in San Diego where Art Jones (one of our major supporters) found it. He bought it from the museum there and paid for the transportation to Tucson. It has been donated to us on the condition that it be included in our permanent collection and stored indoors.

Here is the interior of the car, complete with miniature “walk over” reversible seats. If they look child sized, it’s because they are! The owner built it with his kids in mind-they and their friends could ride around the neighborhood in the trolley.

This shows the driver’s platform. The steering wheel, transmission shifter, throttle, brake and clutch have been moved to the center of the car. On the left you have a dummy motor controller and a dummy air brake stand with hand brake wheel on the right. The rear platform also has a full compliment of dummy controls. It also has dummy trolley poles, but they were taken off so it would fit in the transport truck.

I believe that our main use of the car (once restored) will be promotion of the museum and educational outreach-taking the streetcar portion of our museum to schools and other organizations.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Rubber Tired Trolley

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That has to be the most wild modification of a VW bug that I have ever seen. How is that tiny 36hp engine managing t move something the size of a small motorhome?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 am That has to be the most wild modification of a VW bug that I have ever seen. How is that tiny 36hp engine managing t move something the size of a small motorhome?
My thoughts as well.

I will say that that is cool as grits.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:55 am That has to be the most wild modification of a VW bug that I have ever seen. How is that tiny 36hp engine managing t move something the size of a small motorhome?
Gotta be deep reduction, top speed 25 maybe ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

We have not looked at the motor yet. We'll see what mods were done to it when we get to working on the car. It could have been replaced with a smaller motor and new gearing.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Wow, that is so cool. Great tool for getting youngs kids involved without bringing out the big guns.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Beetles went to 40 hp in 1960. I had a '59 with the original 36 hp. Not sure about later years
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

polymerase2 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:53 pm Beetles went to 40 hp in 1960. I had a '59 with the original 36 hp. Not sure about later years
My first car was a 59 that my Dad bought new. The little 36hp was a good motor, not enough carburetor to hurt itself