Help me figure out what I have please!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fortkevin2

Help me figure out what I have please!

Post by Fortkevin2 »

Hi guys, new here and new to Mosin Nagants. I picked this one up locally for $30. I picked this one up locally for $30. The bolt, stock and receiver match but the floor plate does not. Barrel is actually in good shape. The rifle overall is in fair shape. It looks like it was not a refurb as it's in such poor shape. That or it wasn't taken care of at all. Here are the pictures I have. The one of the barrel import mark says " M9130 Finland"

Last edited by Fortkevin2 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Help me figure out what I have please!

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Good gooogly moogly. You have a Finn captured 91/30. For $30!!!! holy cow. Nice!
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That is a keeper!! :Drool1: :thumbsup: A 1940 Finn captured Tula arsenal 91/30 . Looks like it is in a finn pot belly stock and has finn screw in hangers. Man you just made at least a $100 or more. I would double your money right now if you want? :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum!

You have an amazing rifle. It's a Finn captured M91/30. It is a refurb, but that's not a bad thing. It actually looks really good in the photos, not beat at all, but full of history.

I take it that the photo showing 1940 Tula isn't of your rifle? Do you have a receiver photo of your's?

Edit, I see Des beat me to the reply! Want to triple your money? :mrgreen:
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I got so excited I forgot all the other stuff. :Drool1: :D It started life as a 1940 Tula. It was then captured by the Finns during the Continuation War. The SA in a box is the Finn property mark. It also has the Finn hanger slots but missing the hangers for the sling. No big deal. That was a great find.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

MN Fan wrote:Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum!

You have an amazing rifle. It's a Finn captured M91/30. It is a refurb, but that's not a bad thing. It actually looks really good in the photos, not beat at all, but full of history.

I take it that the photo showing 1940 Tula isn't of your rifle? Do you have a receiver photo of your's?

Edit, I see Des beat me to the reply! Want to triple your money? :mrgreen:
Ya you are right MN that photo of the shank isn't the same rifle. From what I can see it looks like a Finned barrel on it.
Last edited by BuckeyeSgt on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There is more to this one then meets the eye Texas Buckeye. It has a refurb mark on it too. This one may be a capture recapture rifle :big shock:
Oh i see there is a round reciever one too.
Last edited by desdem12 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I don't think it's a '40. The date photo isn't of this rifle. I missed it too, but the double import marks brought it to my attention. I am guessing this is late 20's?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

MN Fan wrote:I don't think it's a '40. The date photo isn't of this rifle. I missed it too, but the double import marks brought it to my attention. I am guessing this is late 20's?
I missed a bunch in my haste. The serial numbers too.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

All 3 of us were excited and replying on top of each other :)

Kevin, I hope you can tell, you don't own the everyday, average 91/30. Congrats :)

Oh, and again, welcome!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I see it now and i edited it. The pot belly one is in 91/30 configure. But the serial number looks like a Finn number too. This might be a Tikka :D
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Hex receiver, you should tear it down and look at the tang date. And a photo of the barrel shank for this rifle. Guessing a Tikka?? Is there a T in a circle?
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think it is a Tkka. A T in a triangle inside a circle. I woulda payed $35 for both of these. :lol:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I think we overwhelmed him with 12 post in 8 minutes. :D But then again we were too. :toast:
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Des where in the hex photos is the refurb mark you speak of?
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

redspoon wrote:Des where in the hex photos is the refurb mark you speak of?
Right above the star. The box with the vertical line.

Oops I think he saw the Tula round one at first like we all did thinking it was the same rifle.
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I see the refurb mark on the 40 tula. I made a mistake as he had posted 2 rifles instead of one. The mark is at the top above the star on the round one. I don't see a refurb mark on the hexs. :D
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I just got up from my nap so i can't see too straight. Easy to trick an old blind man. :lol:
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

desdem12 wrote:I just got up from my nap so i can't see too straight. Easy to trick an old blind man. :lol:
:lol: I think we all got tripped up with that one photo thrown in there. And the excitement. :D
Некто кроме нас
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I know. A bunch of fotos of a finn and then a 40 round thrown in for effect. The old bait and switch'll get me every time. :lol: :lol: