Bubba

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Lavitias

Bubba

Post by Lavitias »

Unfortunately it seems bubba is moving on to Sks's now using the same argument theirs so many of them. Youd think people would of learned after the mosins started to dry up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awalker1829

Re: Bubba

Post by awalker1829 »

My rule of thumb is to never do something to a collectible gun (or any collectible/antique item for that matter) that you cannot undo. If I replace a part on a gun, I keep the original part. That way, if I want to return it to original condition later on, I can do that. There is a distinct difference between that and irrevocably modifying a gun.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Modify it and watch the value of investment drop. Some people can afford to wipe their asses with money, apparently that idiot is one of them. Spend good cash for a rifle then fuck it up so it's worth as much as a single barrel shotgun salvaged off the bottom of a lake after ten years or rusting.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I'd rather have a single barrel shotgun any day than some bubba gump special of a milsurp firearm. Any day I tell ya.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Last night I was poking through Gun Broker and came across an SVT-40 that someone had "Sporterized." Along with stock chopping, they cut off the end of the barrel including the gas system. It was a study on how to turn a $1,500.00 gun into six pounds of trash.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

I believe the worse i have seen is a sporterized Garand. Someone gave it a southwestern theme. Ground off the rear sight assy. And much more atrocities...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

M39 Shooter wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:35 pm I believe the worse i have seen is a sporterized Garand. Someone gave it a southwestern theme. Ground off the rear sight assy. And much more atrocities...
A guy walks up to table today at the gunshow with a sporterized 03 A3 today and asked what's it worth. I said not even $200 to me, all I mess with is military surplus. He says, that's what this is. I say no, it used to be before somebody put that stock on it and drilled two holes in the receiver. Now it's just another tired, weathered old rifle.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Was it a legit A3 or something put together using investment cast receiver and leftover Remington military contract parts? I spot these every now and then, mostly with '03 type receivers, junk. After both wars there were huge quantities of leftover parts from the weapons contracts that ended up being sold as scrap. Outfits like Bannerman bought them up and tried to turn a buck making some sort of rifle or shotgun out of them. The first M1 carbine clones in the early 50's were made using many original leftover GI parts mounted on a commercially produced receiver.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:05 pm Was it a legit A3 or something put together using investment cast receiver and leftover Remington military contract parts? I spot these every now and then, mostly with '03 type receivers, junk. After both wars there were huge quantities of leftover parts from the weapons contracts that ended up being sold as scrap. Outfits like Bannerman bought them up and tried to turn a buck making some sort of rifle or shotgun out of them. The first M1 carbine clones in the early 50's were made using many original leftover GI parts mounted on a commercially produced receiver.
Fed Ordinance , oh yea crapola receiver. I`ve saved a few Springfields over the years. Getting lucky they just changed the stock and didn`t mess with the sights. Used to be able to find the stocks and hardware at garage sales and flea markets.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

While on this note thoughts on this restoration I get why he did it but he also destroyed quite a bit of history in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4_XFr16O5o
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Lavitias wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:43 am While on this note thoughts on this restoration I get why he did it but he also destroyed quite a bit of history in the process.

I don't think that he improved the looks of the gun in the process. It just looks like another back porch sand and poly to me.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:53 am
Lavitias wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:43 am While on this note thoughts on this restoration I get why he did it but he also destroyed quite a bit of history in the process.

I don't think that he improved the looks of the gun in the process. It just looks like another back porch sand and poly to me.
Nothing wrong with the stock the way it was. No breaks or bad cracks. He's a Yoututbe Bubba, teaching other Bubba's to fuck up a battle rifle.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:17 am

Nothing wrong with the stock the way it was. No breaks or bad cracks. He's a Yoututbe Bubba, teaching other Bubba's to fuck up a battle rifle.
In the case of the M1 GI carbines I've been watching for a few yrs., it's about $400-600 price difference in one with a sanded stock and one in GI condition. Type 56 will be the same someday.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

awalker1829 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:51 pm My rule of thumb is to never do something to a collectible gun (or any collectible/antique item for that matter) that you cannot undo. If I replace a part on a gun, I keep the original part. That way, if I want to return it to original condition later on, I can do that. There is a distinct difference between that and irrevocably modifying a gun.
You said it best. If you can't undo it don't do it.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Artyom Kvasov

Post by Artyom Kvasov »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:09 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:17 am

In the case of the M1 GI carbines I've been watching for a few yrs., it's about $400-600 price difference in one with a sanded stock and one in GI condition. Type 56 will be the same someday.
Every year the price of em only goes up. Buy em while they're still "cheap". If only I could have grabbed an SVT when they were around 400...
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Hey Jim,
Remember when they used to say
"Hell, do what you want to it, It's just a $75 Mosin Nagant and has no collectors value because there are so many of them on the market?

Well, that $74 Mosin is going for over $300 plus now and is harder to find. One that was drilled and tapped is worth the price of the scope now. I wonder how many people are thanking this forums now that we talked them out of butchering them?
How much might it be worth in 10 years (if not bubba'd)?

I see no difference with the SKS rifles now.

Darryl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Darryl wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:54 am Hey Jim,
Remember when they used to say
"Hell, do what you want to it, It's just a $75 Mosin Nagant and has no collectors value because there are so many of them on the market?

Well, that $74 Mosin is going for over $300 plus now and is harder to find. One that was drilled and tapped is worth the price of the scope now. I wonder how many people are thanking this forums now that we talked them out of butchering them?
How much might it be worth in 10 years (if not bubba'd)?

I see no difference with the SKS rifles now.

Darryl
That was the basic message of both this, and the old board, I like to hope most listened.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yeah.

Darryl