Good bye Heavy metal.

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
steelbuttplate

Good bye Heavy metal.

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm selling my Sunday truck. It's on Ebay. I put a fuel pump on it 2 days ago, got it running and brought it up to the house moving it around taking pics, and the rear brake line busted. Kinda like stepping on a plum. I nearly hit my Nissan tk. It's been fun to drive, but I can get a busted knuckle these days just raising the hood. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Re: Good bye Heavy metal.

Post by SA1911a1 »

The rug to keep out the road gravel?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What you asking? Bring it up here and we can do a deal. What's the problem fixing it? I could take that apart blindfolded, simple systems, very basic.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You put the HEI in there, or is that motor a 250/292 out of a newer 70's truck/van?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice Truck... That would only see Summer driving up here. Today we are getting blasted with a pretty good snow/ice storm. If that were my baby it would be tucked in the shed for winter.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I miss the step sides. At 5-8" that step allows me to reach the stuff next to the cab. I also miss the vent windows. If you open a window in my truck, the concussion beats you to death over about 20 mph.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:14 am You put the HEI in there, or is that motor a 250/292 out of a newer 70's truck/van?
The Electronics ? It was changed in Alabama some yrs ago. Thats the original 232 as far as I know.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:08 am The rug to keep out the road gravel?
Man thats :cool2: a flower power rug I found on a highway. There's no rust holes in this truck. Solid heavy metal. I'd planed on selling it so I can get my '90 Buick Lesabre ATV. The Hunting car.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 am What you asking? Bring it up here and we can do a deal. What's the problem fixing it? I could take that apart blindfolded, simple systems, very basic.
Bidding starts at $3600. To rich for you Jim Dawg. I've put tires, rally wheels, aluminum radiator, new carb, fuel pump, heater core, front disc brakes and steering that are new '76 GM parts. It's a driver as is. And a heavy hauler.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:32 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:12 am What you asking? Bring it up here and we can do a deal. What's the problem fixing it? I could take that apart blindfolded, simple systems, very basic.
Bidding starts at $3600. To rich for you Jim Dawg. I've put tires, rally wheels, aluminum radiator, new carb, fuel pump, heater core, front disc brakes and steering that are new '76 GM parts. It's a driver as is. And a heavy hauler.
My M37 was a hell of a lot more than that, up here in rustland the bidding would start at five grand. I know a guy who sold a similar one for 8 g's a few years ago, and it was a bondo baby.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Around here your sanity would be heavily questioned for even thinking of parting with that truck. 1965 was the last year you could get the 409, or 348 for trucks. I know some who would be plotting to drop such an engine in that truck, I do know some people who are hoarding 409's despite the big dollar value of these engines. They have nothing clean enough to drop it into yet, trucks aren't what they are looking for, Impalas are, but the possibility exists. I like the six with three on the tree for it's simplicity, I had the 230 engine in my 1964 Belair, I pulled the engine and rebuilt it on a tarp in a day. Freshened it, no machine work was needed, just cleaning up the head, and new gaskets. HEI would be the first thing to go, doesn't look right in that truck, plus, points are easy when you know how to deal with them, and I do.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Who recovered that seat in schoolbus green vinyl?
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You have 53 watchers on that auction as of tonight, you should have put a picture of the frame in there. Clean frame on a truck is something we never see up here on a Chevy, not even on the new ones after the first winter. What the hell is a 225 engine? This is not a Dodge, Chevrolet for 1965 offered the 230 engine, that would become the 250 engine in 1966, and eventually plateau as the 292 . Pontiac had the same engine in 215 displacement. I have had every one of them at some point. I get it, the engine serial number year code is 225, that is not the displacement. Here, I stole this bit off the internet, use it to decode the block serial number, it's on the block behind the distributor.

"Number Identification
Check the engine code suffix against a Chevrolet code listing. The engine number V0225FF translates as follows: "V" means it was built at the Flint, Michigan, engine plant, "0225" represents the date of manufacture (February 25) and "FF" translates as a 1965 230-cubic-inch displacement with 140 horsepower."
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

225 is the mopar slant six. This is a 230 or 232 (I've heard both all my life). My friends 1930 Chevrolet Rebel has the same motor, They musta made them unchanged 40 yrs. or more. Until govt. commies started regulating compression, then a bigger motor had to be made to get the lost HP back. The 225's I've seen in welders, generators, wood chippers and two Dodge trucks I owned.
Buy it Dawg, you can catch a small plane ride down here and drive it back, it will make it.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:16 pm Who recovered that seat in schoolbus green vinyl?
Isn't that nice ? It just needs a mossy oak cover tied on. I drove a '57 Apache in high school that was the Agriculture depts. truck. It had Two wooden tomatoe boxes in it for seats. same motor and trans.
And a Chevy short van with the same, delivering dry cleaning, 1st and second gear only in the van. To shift, go from first til it touches reverse, down and grind third, then it will go into second. That van delivered cleaning for years like that.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:38 am 225 is the mopar slant six. This is a 230 or 232 (I've heard both all my life). My friends 1930 Chevrolet Rebel has the same motor, They musta made them unchanged 40 yrs. or more. Until govt. commies started regulating compression, then a bigger motor had to be made to get the lost HP back. The 225's I've seen in welders, generators, wood chippers and two Dodge trucks I owned.
Buy it Dawg, you can catch a small plane ride down here and drive it back, it will make it.
The slant six wasn't always a 225, it started off as a 170, and later grew into a 225 with some block modifications. The first three years of the 170 they used an aluminum block, in 1964 that was put away in favor of cast iron, and it stayed that way until the last engines were made ( as replacements) in Mexico 2000. The 230 was GM's replacement for the old 235, itself a replacement for the 216, Pontiac and Chevy used them, as did Buick in the Apollo by the early 1970's. If your engine is original to that truck, and not bored out, then it's the 230, there is no 232 in GM, that would be AMC's smaller straight six. The 230, and 250 look the same on the outside, and easily interchange, the 292 is a tall deck block, and used for trucks as it will not fit under a cars hood line. These engines were useless to us, they rarely blew up, and so rarely sold. I had a heap of Chevy 250's, Chrysler 225's, Ford 200's and 250's, and AMC 232/258's, they sat there until I scrapped them. Ford had the small six in 144, then 170, then 200, in the falcons, and small Econoline vans, later they use it for the Fairmont type cars of the 1980's. Granada/ Monarch of the 70's got the 250 six, they didn't last long as like the Plymouth Volare, Chevy Nova, they rusted to death. In 1930 Chevrolet was using something like a 194, this would be similar to the 216 of the 1940's and 50's. Semi pressurized lubrication with overhead valves, that is assuming your friends car has the original engine. The 230 is a modern high compression fully pressure lubricated engine, the only things it has in common with the 1930 engine is overhead valves, cast iron construction, six cylinders and it burns gas.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I see you got a bid, you should get a few more. I thought about it but my hauler wrecked his rig, and will be out for many months before he can afford to pay for the part insurance isn't covering. Commercial haulers would suck up my profit margin.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 pm I see you got a bid, you should get a few more. I thought about it but my hauler wrecked his rig, and will be out for many months before he can afford to pay for the part insurance isn't covering. Commercial haulers would suck up my profit margin.
I got 4 bids. The '66 that was the closest thing to mine got $2500 more and didn't make reserve. The difference was it was all stock. The big money is going to total restore possibles that are drivers as well.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:44 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:25 pm I see you got a bid, you should get a few more. I thought about it but my hauler wrecked his rig, and will be out for many months before he can afford to pay for the part insurance isn't covering. Commercial haulers would suck up my profit margin.
I got 4 bids. The '66 that was the closest thing to mine got $2500 more and didn't make reserve. The difference was it was all stock. The big money is going to total restore possibles that are drivers as well.
Bullshit, trucks like yours are in heavy demand now, yea, they will do over the mechanicals but make sure the look of the truck remains the same. Fewer and fewer people want the $40,000 fully restored to better than new truck, this isn't the 90's, rat rods and rust are king now, original, bumps, worn paint and primer, " PATINA" some people actually try and fake that look on vehicles that look too nice. You seen pictures of my rusty but running '68 Buick special? In 1988 I would have been made fun of ( until I punched somebody) for owning a car in that condition, today it draws an admiring crowd, they take pictures with it, even make offers to buy it, but I am not finished playing with it yet. Somebody bought your truck right, they will spend $1500-$2000 on going over the bushings, tires, brakes, and so on, then sell it for $7500-$8500. In the old days they would have to spend five grand or more on bodywork, and paint, a lot more probably, today they lose customers if they touch that patina. That's one of the most popular of vintage Chevy truck styles, and it's a stepside, gold, why do you think I was trying to line up cheap transport, but I couldn't get the numbers to were I needed them to be to see a good profit. If I was buying it for myself that would be different, but I am a Dodge man, and right now I have a nice Dodge truck.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Out here, that thing would sell quickly. Antique vehicles are very popular here.