Finn capture 41 Izhevsk m38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Finn capture 41 Izhevsk m38

Post by racerguy00 »

I had been hoping to find one of these for a while and finally was able to swing a trade for one.

Bolt mismatch, rest matching. Good bore. Stock is in great shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Finn capture 41 Izhevsk m38

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a nice looking carbine, but you are a braver man with your money than I am with all this bullshit going around concerning fake Finn SA and D stamp sets ( among others) The rifle came with rock solid provenance? Helps that it's obviously not refurbished and still wearing it's early style stock.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would be more inclined to believe a sloppy SA stamp like this rifles has. Most fakers would be careful to apply the stamp so it doesn't look like a drunk applied it and missed the first time.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I don't have any doubts. Font of the D and SA match other Finns exactly, no import mark, early stock that other than the length is an exact match in looks and feel to my other Finn capture Soviet 91/30 stocks. Its serial number is not far off of another example with which it also shares the same prefix which I found interesting.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Nice one! Congrats
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 pm I would be more inclined to believe a sloppy SA stamp like this rifles has. Most fakers would be careful to apply the stamp so it doesn't look like a drunk applied it and missed the first time.
The funny part is it probably was a drunk Finnish armorer because ya know they probably got several cases of Vodka to go with it also.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

racerguy00 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:12 pm I don't have any doubts. Font of the D and SA match other Finns exactly, no import mark, early stock that other than the length is an exact match in looks and feel to my other Finn capture Soviet 91/30 stocks. Its serial number is not far off of another example with which it also shares the same prefix which I found interesting.
I have at least two Finn rifles that have the SA overstamped like that, in one case both SA stamps are slightly overlapping and stamped a bit more deep than yours, the other looks like yours. Both rifles were bought many years ago before there was any financial incentive to fake stamp SA marks. On the other hand my neighbor had a nice M38 that could have been the twin to yours, mismatched bolt, no import mark, 1940 or 41 I forget. That rifle had the same issued look, early style stock, he took it off a dead commie rat fuck ( his description) in Korea 1951. By his account just about every guy in his outfit had something similar to take home, rifles. carbines, pistols, mostly typical WW2 era Soviet weapons sent as aid to the DPRK by way of China. A lot of these trophy's are floating around out there with owners that don't realize what they have, they think Spanish, or unmarked Finn import. Korean war bringhome is cool enough, but some Bubba's will try and make it more cool by stamping things on them so never assume anything on how a rifle looks. I saw Jimmys rifle many times, when the whisky flowed he would pull it out along with his bayonet and start telling storys of cold and snow as a young Marine. Same look to the stock finish even, either way, legit Finn, or US soldier bringhome, it's still cool, not a typical Soviet post WW2 refurb that exists by the tens of thousands. I wouldn't read much into the 1941 date, maybe they didn't take as many rifles in the continuation war as they did in the Winter War, but my own M38 Finn is 1941 also. Having bought it in 1988 I am absolute as to it's authenticity. It differs from yours by having a very dark oil finish on the stock, and matched bolt, and an import mark. That's another issue, import marks from the 1980's when Finland exported many of these to the US tend to be near microscopic and up by the muzzle. I haven't been able to get a handle on how many, if any, M38 carbines Finland exported to the US prior to 1968 when import marks were mandated. In the years before 1968 Finland was still depending on the Mosin rifles for defense, and unlikely to have exported much beyond the oldest and most worn M91's if anything. They dumped the bulk of their surplus in the late 1980's, a time when such carbines were $25, and nobody knew, or gave a damn about the SA stamp. There were always rumors of importers forgetting to stamp rifles, but that is an old wives tale. Such could have resulted in loss of importers license, heavy fines and even prison, something to keep even the most slack importers on their toes when it came to accounting for each weapon. Mostly they would stamp the wrong stamp calling Mosins mausers and such. Not every forger is a Bubba fuckup, some have real skills, they are in it for the money, and they know their trade, they could easily forge that shaky handed double stamp marking. Often a crappy marking is easier to forge than a perfectly applied one, we are quicker to assume a forger would never be so sloppy. In the end without provenance we have only our own feelings to go by, no matter what there are few issued M38's around from any conflict, refurbs abound, all issued M38 are a very good find. Without a solid paper trail we will never know for sure unless you bought it from somebody like me, ol' fuck who bought it back in the 80's. Either way. cool rifle, I would swap my Finn M38 for my friends bringhome in a heartbeat, unfortunately he passed 15 years ago and the rifle vanished into his family someplace. GI Joe capture rifles trump everything in my book, they go right to the top of the list no matter what their condition.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:bonk: :Finland: :vodka1: Dit I hit dat thing twishe ? Double stamp hell I see all four.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Sweet and congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: