M44 Slings

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Robertroadking

M44 Slings

Post by Robertroadking »

I have a Soviet M44 , 1945 , that has gone through refurbish arsenal, I want to add a sling to it, I know anything may have been used during service, but what were they usually paired with after refurbished?
steelbuttplate

Re: M44 Slings

Post by steelbuttplate »

All my refurbished ones came with a standard green canvas strap and dog collars.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

By standard do you mean the full length one for 91/30?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Robertroadking wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm By standard do you mean the full length one for 91/30?
Yep, I think there all the same .
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:41 pm
Robertroadking wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm By standard do you mean the full length one for 91/30?
Yep, I think there all the same .
No, they do make a slightly shorter sling intended for the carbines. Most sellers don't realize this and sell them as generic Mosin slings so good luck finding one. The Soviets would have issued the rifle with whatever was available, PPSH slings included.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got the PPS sling on 3 of mine they work fine and look good. I think I put the package slings on those M44( Molots) so I've got 4-5 of them left. Liberty Tree has plenty PPS slings, and what they call M44 or 91/30 slings, I thinks carbine from the picture.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

According to Ratnik in his reference book there were no specific carbine slings made during ww2 but there was some variance in lengths. That's according to the Soviet documents he dug up in their archives.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

There are definitely shorter slings available for carbines but they're not so easy to come by. The ones I have seem authentic to the period and seem short enough to have been made for this purpose. I even has a leather example. Sure seems to me that these were intentional, yet if so, there would be a lot more of them out there I'd think.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

I think the junk yard dog’s theory that they were mixed in is very plausible , since the war was near the end when the M44s came out most of the slings were probably made post-war. I found some on eBay by asking the seller to measure the canvas slings they offer, as most don’t have any idea of what they have.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Robertroadking wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:06 am I think the junk yard dog’s theory that they were mixed in is very plausible , since the war was near the end when the M44s came out most of the slings were probably made post-war. I found some on eBay by asking the seller to measure the canvas slings they offer, as most don’t have any idea of what they have.
I was watching part of "Battle of Russia, why we fight", just for slings in use ID. I saw lots of PPS '41 slings in use on carbines. There is footage in there with new Russian troops in '42-'43 carrying new M-38s but I couldn't find it.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

It seems odd to watch a US film praising The USSR. And referring to them as free people fighting for liberty, when they were just defending a dictator who spoke Russian over one who didn’t There are some good candid photos there for reference as opposed to Russian PR that showed off a lot of automatic weapons.